Saturday, January 27, 2007

Tomorrowland, June 1963


I know, it feels as if 70 percent of the photos on this blog are taken from the Skyway. The actual number is only 65 percent, so there. Today we're getting a look at the classic Tomorrowland, with all kinds of neat stuff in view. Both the Space Bar and the Yacht Bar are visible (no booze at either place, naturally), the Douglas rocket, Astro Jets, the Monorail beamway, a tiny bit of the queue for the Submarine Voyage, and a smidgen of the Flying Saucers. I like that you can see the General Dynamics pylon as well.

The red interior of the Flight to the Moon attraction is interesting...I believe that it was painted that color when Douglas took over the place. Kind of looks like an open mouth. Chomp!

6 comments:

Tinker Bell said...

Wow, this is a cool photo! I like the lack of Skyway wires or "traffic" in the photo. And of course the Yacht bar which I love for some strange reason. A question... in "Disneyland After Dark", where was Annette performing? Somewhere in Tomorrowland, but exactly where?

Daveland said...

Welcome back to DLand! The high vantage point of the Skyway is missed when it comes to taking good overall shots. Thanks for posting!

Matterhorn1959 said...

I'm missing the Knotts Berry Farm posts already!

Anonymous said...

One of my best memories of Disneyland (circa mid 1960's) is sitting at a table on the Tommorrowland Terrace at night. As a teenage girl, I reveled in watching the dancers and hearing the beat of the music. The excitement of seeing the bandstand rise up from the floor was increased by the added scenery of the jets, peoplemover and monorail circling above, the smell of hamburgers, the view of the Carousel of Progress and Mission to Mars. Not long after man actually walked on the moon.

Major Pepperidge said...

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone!

Connie Moreno said...

I am always amused by photos showing the Yacht Bar. I must have walked by it a gazillion time; I probably even ate there and yet, I have absolutely NO recollection of it at all!!