Monday, January 08, 2007

200th Post!

That's right, today marks the 200th post for Gorillas Don't Blog (why-oh-why did I give it that name??). I believe that includes about 250 images, and oodles of yawn-inducing commentary. I wasn't sure it would go on this long, but I owe it all to the inspiration I get while viewing Stuff From The Park, Davelandblog, and The Pickle Barrel blog, among others. Thanks guys! Thanks to those who comment as well, I really do appreciate it. And now, let's look at some pictures!

All of todays photos are from a lot of oversized slides, undated but probably from around 1958. The color is a bit funky (trust me, what you are seeing is a big improvement!), but the images themselves are really wonderful. First we get a nice look at early Tomorrowland. Junior is covering his face because dad insists on taking photos with the sun behind him. We can see from the Clock of the World that it is almost 6:30 in the evening...where is everyone? The land looks surprisingly quiet.


Next we see Junior and Dad crossing the Barrel Bridge on Tom Sawyer Island. The lady behind them looks mighty amused. I wonder how many people managed to fall through the open ropes on the sides? Today there is netting to prevent inevitable mishaps. Dad's body language tells us that he is taking no chances, and he's keeping a protective hand on the kid. (Thanks to "Squalls Ahead" for letting me know that the slide was first posted backwards!)


I labelled the next photo "Teeter Totter Rock", but I'm actually not exactly sure if that is accurate. Is it "Merry-Go-Round Rock"? Either way, it is surely long-gone in the name of safety.


And lastly, we can all pretend that we are sitting in the audience watching the fascinating and strange (to our eyes) dances performed in the Dance Circle. Take a look at all of the souvenir hats! When Gorillaland opens, I am definitely selling chapeaus of all shapes and sizes. It's like printing money!


7 comments:

Daveland said...

Congrats Major! I am just a few away of my 200th also. Your pics today are awesome! Love the one of the dad on the barrel bridge - classic! I wonder if he knows who Tom Sawyer is?!?

Jim Moore said...

Great shots -- Thanks! FYI... The barrel bridge photo is reversed.

Chris Merritt said...

I love those oversize slides! Congrats on 200 posts - that's a lot of work!

Hannibal8 said...

Major I love your blog as well as the other ones you mentioned. Congratualtions on the mile stone. Time certainly flys when you're having fun.

Tinker Bell said...

Happy 200th, Major! I look forward to visiting your site every day! Such great stuff, and these photos are so fun. That dad is classic!

Anonymous said...

That rock - it stayed a round there for a long time. I was on that. In the 1980s.

Monkey Cage Kurt said...

200th post?!? It sure is going fast! Seems like only a few days ago I was at the 300 mark. So, what constitutes a “post” anyways? Is it by the date, or by the photo? Either way, I’m just zoomin! What, I have like…6-8 months left to go? I’ll be all sad.