Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Toad Exterior, October 1969



Some of my earliest Disneyland memories involve the Fantasyland dark rides, and Mr. Toad was always among my favorite experiences. I wasn't familiar with the "Wind in the Willows" featurette at all, but it didn't matter...most folks love the idea of driving and crashing their way through Toad Hall, across the countryside, and through the city. After a hasty trial, you are sent to prison...presumably you escape, and head towards and oncoming train, followed by the trip to HELL! Those googly devils and sudden blast of heat are still one of the best endings of any dark ride.

In this slide you get a good look at the old Medieval "tent" theme of the pre-1983 Fantasyland. I included an enlargement so that the mural out front can be seen (not too clearly unfortunately). While I miss some elements of the old Fantasyland, the new version, with its beautifully detailed buildings, is a big improvement.

3 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

I think this was every kids favorite ride, I know it was my brothers and mine growing up. In fact, when I go to Disneyland today, I still ride and laugh with the devils at the end just like when I was growing up.

thepicklebarrel said...

nice one...i too love the lack of pretension in old fantasyland. i think the tent fascades really added to the cartooniness of fantasyland's mood. i think the murals are a key part of the set-up for the dark rides.

i'll post some stuff on the snow white ride to call your hand...

Chris Merritt said...

Hey Dave - I have a good scan of that Toad mural artwork - shoot me an email & I'll send it to ya.

perkypickle will make you weep when you see what Snow White stuff he has...