Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Alice in Wonderland, 1961


The colorful caterpillar ride vehicles from the Alice in Wonderland attraction are my all-time favorites...I love the snooty expression on the caterpillar. Other ride vehicles have been sold over the years, flying elephants, "Toad" cars, and so on. But I've never ever seen a caterpillar for sale.

If the woman in this photo is not named Aunt Mimi, she should be. She's got her sneakers on for a day of comfortable walking, and she is blissfully unaware of the scary guy sitting behind her (he is not having fun).

Behind them all is a glimpse of the ticket booth shaped like a mushroom. I am betting that Matterhorn1959 will have a much better photo of this!

4 comments:

Gary Green said...

Love this pic! Love this ride! The best part is exiting back into the sun (moon) light and THEN getting to go back into the ride for a last-minute surprise! So much fun! I never miss this ride when I visit.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Nice post, see my answering post on my blog. Also Gary at this time the ride just wound around outside. Only after the rehab of 1983-84 did the ride go back into the building for the Cheshire Cat and Merry Un Birthday scene.

Amazon Belle said...

Wonderful photo! I totally forgot about there being a "spur" line to park the additional caterpillars on. Also, I think I have your answer to the shoes question posted at “Stuff from the Park.” They belong to the caterpillar from the film. Since the caterpillar turned in her/his shoes for wheels for your tour of wonderland, “it” left them on top of the mushroom until it returns.

Major Pepperidge said...

Thanks Gary, Matterhorn, and Amazon Belle for your comments. I knew the shoes belonged to thte caterpillar, but didn't understand why they were there on top of the mushroom where most people don't even notice 'em!