Friday, December 05, 2014

Vintage Main Street, 1956

I prefer my vintage Disneyland image to be nice and sunny; but today's photos, taken on an overcast day, are still pretty nice.

If you wanted to fire a cannon ball up Main Street, this would have been a good day to do it! The white wing would have had to jump out of the way, but he would know that it was all in good fun. Of course Jay McJaywalker (to our right) has to be a rebel. I say throw him in the clink! As always I love the level of detail that the Imagineers applied on Main Streets shops - every other non-Disney park just couldn't seem to get that realistic look. Meanwhile, I wish I owned that giant key over the Yale Lock Shop.


You can tell that this is pretty early because the building to our left is still the "Plaza Apts", rather than the INA Carefree Corner. They are nice apartments, but that darn marching band goes by all day long. Vesey Walker doesn't care that it's gray and gloomy; he's having a great time! 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to have an apartment on Disneyland's Main Street.

I would have only a short walk to my dream job as a Jungle Cruise skipper, or driver of Casey Jr.

I think I would do the JC in the morning and then drive Casey in the PM to relax.

Very cool, Major. I never knew this building was a pretend apartment, always thought of it as Carefree Corner, even long after INA left it.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

JG, I wish they had turned that upstairs area into a Dream Suite, though I guess I would probably never get the opportunity to stay there. What are they doing with the actual Dream Suite these days? They never publicize it anymore.

Melissa said...

It takes more than a gloomy sky to keep a man named "Walker" from marching up and down the street.

I think the man in the gray flannel suit is the missing link between John Agar and George Reeves.

Anonymous said...

Major, I think the former Dream Suite is converted into part of the remodeled Club 33, but I'm not sure.

Daveland had a discussion of this remodeling work in a recent post.

I was looking at old blueprints of the second floor and it seems plausible that the two spaces could be joined up so the essentially the whole second floor of NOS is all Club 33, but not sure that is what is being done.

JG