Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Tomorrowland Snapshots, 1962

The world is a carousel of gray… wonderful, wonderful gray!

Who needs color? Not me! Why, I hate color! Except for orange. All those other colors are for hippies. The kids in these photos aren't hippies, they are respectful American kids. Big brother stands at ease in front of the fabulous Monorail, while little sis… wait a minute, is she about to flip us the bird? No, I'm sure she is just going to take a puff of a cigarette, or something normal like that. 

I was wondering what was casting that round shadow behind the kids, and realized it must be from a Skyway bucket overhead!


There's the Douglas rocket, named after Donna Douglas (Elly May Clampett, from the Beverly Hillbillies). Some people think it is named after talk show host Mike Douglas, but those people are totally mental.


9 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

My vote in this first image is Dad, rather than big brother. And as for the 'mysterious round shadow' - that's clearly a Martian Flying Saucer, come in to have a gander at that Monorail.

And as for that "Douglas" rocket - my mom tried to convince me it was named after Mike Douglas too, but I was too smart for that. It was clearly named for Kirk Douglas. (He outbid Donna for the naming rights).

Thanks, Major.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, well, he still looks like a kid to me… I guess 15 year-old brother, five year-old sister?Tthe only way to solve this is through nuclear war! And wasn't Kirk Douglas mad at Walt for showing his kids on the "Disneyland" TV show? You might be confusing him with Melvin Douglas.

Nanook said...

Major-

If the truth be told, Melvin Douglas was my first choice.

Monkey Cage Kurt said...

Rare form today Major, I’m totally cracking up! Also appreciate the shadow observation (good eye). Thanks as always!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Nanook, that shadow is from a UFO.

JG

Melissa said...

Come on, people! Do you really think it's a coincidence that "DOUGLAS" is an anagram for "USA GOLD?"

The rocket was *obviously* part of a larger plan to establish American financial control over the Moon, in order to keep it out of the hands of those Commies from Mars, the Red Planet. The round shadow over the two clean-cut American kids is an economic sphere of influence.

You don't have to believe me. Just ask the men in the Waste Paper can.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, yeah, I like Melvin Douglas!

Monkey Cage Kurt, thanks!

JG, well, I can’t say FOR SURE that it’s a Skyway bucket. It’s a government coverup.

Melissa, I thought Douglas was an anagram for LOUD GAS, but I like yours better. Is Agent 13 in that trash can?

Nanook said...

Major-

(Another truth be told...) I always picture you in a smoking jacket, comfortably sitting in a high-back overstuffed chair, happily puffing-away on a pipe.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

My guess is, Major Pepperidge, in the study with a pipe. Oh that's Clue...sorry wrong game.