Friday, November 23, 2012

Instamatic Mix

Here's an unusual view of the venerable Disneyland Hotel, circa 1970. This photo is sharper than most of the older Instamatic photos, so my friend must have gotten a new camera! You can see the Sierra Tower in the distance, with the brand-new Marina Tower to the right. 


This next image is from a negative that was extremely scratched and beat up. It took me a lot of time in Photoshop to make it somewhat presentable, but I thought that it was worth it for this neat interior view of the Matterhorn, as taken from the Skyway.


Wow, Frontierland is extremely crowded in this undated photo! It is clearly chilly (everyone seems to be wearing a jacket or sweater), but the sun is shining, and even the rafts to and from Tom Sawyer Island are packed. I can only assume that "Pirates of the Caribbean" had opened recently (it debuted in March 1967), and everyone and their grandmothers wanted to see this amazing ride that they had heard about.


12 comments:

Rich T. said...

Major, that shot of the Matterhorn interior is just...just...wonderful beyond words. That's a view of the ride I thought I'd never see so clearly again.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to repair the image!!!

Chiana_Chat said...

Neat pics! Surprising the middle one turned out at all. Looks like everyone and their aunts were there that day.

K. Martinez said...

I think that's about the best "original" Matterhorn interior shot I've ever seen. Funny how the interior rock work was wasn't as detailed as the exterior skin. Excellent clean up job!

Chuck said...

I know it's a good idea to find a decent viewing spot for "Fantasmic!" well in advance of showtime, but I think setting up 25 years before the next performance is overdoing it.

Major Pepperidge said...

Rich T., I'm glad you like the Matterhorn shot... it took me forever to get all of the scratches cleaned up. But it was all worth it!

Chiana, I assume that my friend used a flash, but even so that photo did turn out amazingly good.

K. Martinez, I suppose the interior of the Matterhorn was so dark that they could get away with less-detailed rockwork.

Chuck, I guess you are just not a true Fantasmic fan!

Anonymous said...

As I recall; the interior wood and metal beams of the Matterhorn were covered with heavy wire and canvas, and sprayed rock color. It worked for the time.

CoxPilot

Anonymous said...

Hey Major, the interior Matterhorn shot is one of the best of your collection. Thank you for the extra time and effort to clean it and share it! I'm 99% certain that the photographer didn't use flash, or else the large curved beam in the foreground would be illuminated and bright. The photographer simply got #20 in a nice bright bit of reflected sunshine as they headed up the incline. Super picture!!

Bill in Denver

K. Martinez said...

Major - You could see clearly inside the Matterhorn during the daylight back in those days and it was obvious to see that it was a roller coaster with the visible girders, tracks, etc. I remember people from time to time commented how disappointed they were with the interior when the outside of the mountain was done so beautifully. I think the 1978 enchancement was definitely a big improvement with the exception of the view being covered at the top of the lift. Otherwise I have a nostalgia for the original interior.

walterworld said...

The interior Matterhorn shot is the best I've seen...and you know it!!!

Thanks Major :)

Melissa said...

I love that Travelport sign THIS MUCH.

Anonymous said...

Great pic. I remember in the old Matterhorn you could sense the height and the open space inside which might not have been as bobsleddy but there was something really cool about it.

Anonymous said...

The image of #20 is the lift of the attraction.