Wednesday, November 21, 2012

25th Birthday Parade, April 1980

Wow, how can Disneyland's 25th Birthday be 32 years ago? It was a big deal at the time, and as is generally the case when Disneyland has something to celebrate, there was a parade.

Cinderella and her magnificent pumpkin coach (complete with liveried footmen) were featured in plenty of publicity images for the 25th. It's easy to see why, it makes for a neat picture. Was the coach built specifically for this parade?


Some of the Country Bears liven things up as they take a hayride around the hub. Who can name the bears? Not me! The one playing the banjo looks kind of grotesque in this photo; he's gonna eat ya!


Ever tried prancing on a moving parade float? It requires years of experience and a Level-3 Prancing License. Peter Pan and Alice make it look easy.


Giant chipmunks wearing cowboy hats and gunbelts? Nothing strange about that at all. Chipmunks never know when they might have to kill somebody because everyone is after them for their nuts. Walnuts, for cripe's sake, walnuts. Sheesh. Check out the float behind them, a little stage for a little Golden Horseshoe Revue, which is pretty cool.


5 comments:

Rich T. said...

That's Wendell on the banjo, and -- yeah, that costume's scary.

TokyoMagic! said...

I remember this parade like it was yesterday....."Disneyland is YOUR land!" Do you have more photos from this parade, Major?

Melissa said...

The bear that's turned to the side looks like Brother Ted, but I can't tell if he's got a corn jug.

K. Martinez said...

I remember thinking about the 25th Anniversary while at Disneyland for its 50th Celebration and how 25 years just flew by so fast. Now it’s 57 years. Unbelievable! I hope to make it to the 75th in 2030.

Major Pepperidge said...

Rich T., if I saw Wendell coming at me in a dark alley, I'd probably die of fright!

TokyoMagic!, I have more parade photos - from a different lot; I'll have to see if they are from the 25th b-day.

Melissa, he's holding something, but I'll be darned if I can tell what it is.

K. Martinez, I KNOW... time just flies. I can't believe that it has been 7 years since the 50th; seems like last year.