Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Disneyland Entrance, 1950s

Posters! Posters! Oh yeah, and the train station and that other stuff. But the posters, boy howdy. I have two Alice in Wonderland attraction posters, but I need the version seen here, with the word "Fantasyland" at the bottom of the image. It's way rarer than the non-"Fantasyland" version that I have. And the wonderful "Rocket to the Moon" poster is practically the Holy Grail for collectors... it's rare and has an amazing, iconic design.  Something tells me I'm not ever going to have one of those, though I recently had an opportunity to get one for $6000 - actually a reasonable price, you might be surprised to hear. But... no can do. Oh well!



Now (from a different lot) here's a view taken from the station looking out toward the entry gates and the parking lot beyond. I think that the little display to our right held issues of the Disneyland News.


Zooming in, we can see The Fonz trying to talk his way in without buying a ticket. The ticket takers appear to be wearing a costume that includes military-style "garrison" hats. They had licenses to kill!


9 comments:

K. Martinez said...

There’s the hotel or parking lot tram full of Disneyland guests either arriving or departing. Nice images today

Rich T. said...

I love those trains with the inward-facing benches for optimal dino viewing, but my timing's always off and I end up on the standard seats.

Those are four awesome posters. And it's funny how lightweight the old turnstyle setup seems now.

Chuck said...

Now THERE's the ultimate Holy Grail for a collector - an actual Disneyland licence to kill.

I wonder how many tags you got per season?

Alonzo P Hawk said...

The fonz is just tring to negotiate a group rate. He got there first cuz he's on the bike (and took a shortcut over the shark). Richie, potsie and ralph are parking the car and on the way. Ayy.

Melissa said...

There's Kilroy in the first picture! He must've been waiting for the Fonz.

PsySocDisney said...

The attraction posters were up on the gate again two weeks ago for the filming of Saving Mr. Banks. I heard stories of guests tearing up at old memories and sharing them with their children :)

David said...

I would love those awesome posters in the first picture, it it inflames my love of 1950s advertising. The reproductions are great, but way to expensive sadly.

Major Pepperidge said...

K. Martinez, you're right, I didn't even notice the tram!

Rich T, the same thing happens to me, I think I usually get the forward-facing seats.

Chuck, those guys were basically as cool as James Bond, and got just as many chicks.

Alonzo, not many people know that The Fonz originally wanted to jump a hippo.

Melissa, if only Kilroy's nose was hanging below the edge of the picture. I may have to go in a Photoshop one in!

Hannahx2, I saw pictures of those posters on Facebook… very cool and kind of weird to see them there. If only they would keep them up… but so many of those attractions are long gone (Flying Saucers, Nature's Wonderland, Astro Jets…).

David, vintage posters are so awesome, and Disneyland had some of the best!

Nancy said...

So cool....parking lot with cool cars and entrance with cool posters....