Monday, May 22, 2017

More Snapshots from 1963

Here are three more snapshots from 1963, featuring a red-haired kid who reminds me so much of a childhood friend of mine (are you out there, Ronnie Smith?).

First up is this heroic portrait of our boy, as he stands near the Wenmac "Thimble Drome" Flight Circle. "Mad Max: Beyond Thimble Drome". I can practically hear the whine of tiny combustion engines! Maybe our old friend Cox Pilot was demonstrating the itty-bitty boats, cars and airplanes that day.

Is the kid wearing a classic "ugly Christmas sweater"? I had one very much like it.


We're still near the Flight Circle, with a nice view of the Skyway and nearly-empty entrance to the Tomorrowland Autopia (perhaps it was down for maintenance?). Note the purple merchandise bag, I have a small one with that design, but need a large one just like that! Who knows what wonders it held - maybe an animation cel from the Art Corner from "Sleeping Beauty", "Alice in Wonderland", or "Lady and the Tramp".


Yes, if I was that boy, I'd be smiling too; the original Submarine Voyage was a pretty great ride, especially when you were his age. In just a few years, the "New Tomorrowland" would debut - I wonder if this kid ever saw it like that? For all we know he was from Delaware or Maine, or some other far-flung locale.


9 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

These are some nice shots of a fella who definitely-knows just where he's at. Clearly a far cry from the 'most-unhappy kid' we've seen from time to time who only seems to know how to look glum.

And whenever I think of far-away places, Duluth or Tierra del Fuego usually comes to mind.

Thanks, Major.

TokyoMagic! said...

That kid certainly does appear to be having a swell time. Too bad the babushka-wearing lady in the second pic is having such a horrible toothache.

Unknown said...

Nice snaps today. It's neat how even in the everyday kind of shots there is a wealth of detail in the background. It's an OK Monday!

Chuck said...

Now I can't get this scene out of my head.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, I am jealous of that kid, being there at such a wonderful time! We will see more of that other kid (Mr. Frowny Face), but I think he might actually be smiling in a few photos.

TokyoMagic!, that lady just ate one of those giant lollipops, and is regretting it.

Patrick Devlin, ha ha, maybe I should make “OK Monday” a thing! No promises of anything great, but it will probably be at least average.

Chuck, I think that Delaweenians will take offense!

Anonymous said...

He is vaguely reminiscent of Harry Potter's stepbrother. Sorry, that's just what popped into my head. The photos are nicely posed, as compared to the usual "scared stiff" look most parents get from their kids.

JG

Steve DeGaetano said...

That last photo with the sub is just more evidence that there have always been corporate sponsors in the Park! ;-)

Chuck said...

Steve, that explains why D-308 always had the nicest seats...

Major Pepperidge said...

JG, he looks much too friendly to be anything like Dudley (or “Dudders”, as I call him). Your “scared stiff” comparison made me think of my niece and nephew when they had to smile for the camera - it looked like they’d taken a serum administered by The Joker.

Steve DeGaetano, it’s true - and let’s not even mention the sub named “Dinty Moore”.

Chuck, I always did admire the Chippendale-style “ball and claw” feet!