Monday, March 30, 2015

Tiki Room, August 1969

I can never get enough images of Disneyland's classic "Enchanted Tiki Room". I'm so glad that it is still entertaining guests over at the entrance to Adventureland. 

Presumably this was taken by somebody waiting to get into the pre-show area. You can see Uti (next to the Tiki Room shield), standing in that stylized canoe (which makes sense, since she is the goddess of fishing). As for the rest of the scene, I can't help noticing the amazing variety of materials; thatched roofs, bamboo, vines and plants, hand-carved elements, painted decoration… and then there are the strange and exotic shapes of the buildings, so unusual when compared to right-angled Western architecture.


Inside the pre-show area, our photographer only took one measly picture, of the tiki god Rongo. Here's what he says: "Me Rongo; god of agriculture. My land so good to me, I got time for sport. Me number one kite flyer. Too bad I don't have key; then me, I find electricity!". In earlier years he also sang the praises of United Airlines flights to Hawaii. 


….On a side note, my goofy post that was intended for April 1st is just not working out. The idea that I came up with turned out to be way more difficult than I had anticipated it (I've been working on it - off and on - for months already). So for those of you who were looking forward to the day after tomorrow (there might be a few of you), I may as well break the bad news now, because I'm not going to be posting anything special that day. If I could physically crumple up my digital file and throw it in the trash, I would do it! 

Maybe I'll do a "Best of April 1st" post. 

Phooey.


11 comments:

D Ticket said...

The posts are all special, don't worry about it.

Chuck said...

I'll admit I have been looking forward to this year's April 1st post. But then again, I've also been looking forward to this year's April 2nd post. And the April 3rd post.

The fact that you give so many of us a daily smile with your "run of the mill" posts (as if there were such a thing) is more than enough. We're just happy you're still here, blogging away, after nearly nine years. Thanks so much for what you do.

And a "Best of April 1st" post would be fantastic.

K. Martinez said...

It's fascinating how Disneyland attractions are representative of the era in which they were created in. The Enchanted Tiki Room during the Tiki culture wave of popularity in the late 50's and early 60's or the Haunted Mansion with its references to dune buggies (doom buggies)from the 60's and 70's. Even the western (Frontierland) and sci-fi (Tomorrowland) were a big thing in the 1950's when Disneyland opened.

Major - About April 1st, no sweat. It's always a joy to come here nearly every morning. I'm just glad you're open for business. Thanks for all the great work you do.

Anonymous said...

Hey...maybe you will have time to remember that question! KS

Major Pepperidge said...

D Ticket, thanks!

Chuck, in the past I've had comments along the lines of "I've been waiting all year for this!". No pressure. So I tried; the idea that I was working on wasn't that great, but it was all that I could come up with. I might not even be able to do a "best of", because I can't find my original Photoshop files from past years. They might have been lost on several corrupted DVD storage disks. I appreciate your kind comment.

K. Martinez, I think that the fact that the Tiki Room is so "early 60's" is a large part of the appeal for me. The music and choral arrangements especially! I have to say that the last few times I visited the Tiki Room, it has been a full house. And thanks for the nice words!

KS, I am SURE that I really did have a Mine Train question… darn it. I hate that I can't remember what it was.

Melissa said...

I came to say what D Ticket said - you post something special every day!

Love the big pink plume sticking up at the bottom of the top pic. Some schmuck of a bird must have not made the audience feel "like that" and ended up on somebody's souvenir hat!

Iiiin theeeee Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room...

Nanook said...

Major-

Confidentially my favorite day at GBD is actually Guy Fawkes Day - and it's not until November; so you've plenty of time to prepare.

Snow White Archive said...

I never tire of the Tiki Room.

An April 1st post I'm sure would have been great, but Major your normal posts are already so often filled with witticisms and clever observations that we're all joyfully entertained no matter what do. So no worries and keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Every day is my favorite Day at GDB.

JG

Melissa said...

It's never too late for a Great Babushkas Retrospective!

Major Pepperidge said...

Melissa, thanks! I didn't notice the plumed hat, maybe it is a bird trying to sneak IN to the Tiki Room.

Nanook, I think I am supposed to set fire to my blog on Guy Fawkes day?

Snow White Archives, I appreciate your kind words very much! I swear I was not fishing for compliments.

JG, thanks to you too.

Melissa, I will need more time to do a serious Babushka Retrospective!