Monday, March 23, 2015

Special Guest Photos! Knott's Berry Farm

Today is "part 2" of some vintage Knott's Berry Farm snapshots, provided to GDB by Scott Heinz (aka "Alonzo P. Hawk")! See part one HERE.

There's Scott himself, seated on the old-timey fire wagon that used to be at Knott's (and maybe still is? I have no idea). He wore red just for this photo!


Up above the Gold Mine area was a little tableau known as "The Night Watch"… it was based on a painting that could be found in the Music Hall.


Here's what the painting looks like! It was painted by Charles Nahl in 1870. It looks like dad just remembered that he left the water running at home.


I can't tell if Scott is honoring the dead, or taunting the dead. Behind him is a giant mural painted on the back of the John Wayne Theater (later the "Goodtime Theater", and then the "Charles Shultz Theater");  I appreciate that they made an effort to beautify what would have otherwise been a big ugly wall.


Scott's dad is pretty amused by Goldie's Place! I'd like to know how many other theme parks have a brothel. (You can't count Las Vegas as a theme park).


The Timber Mountain Log Ride! I loved that thing when I was a kid, and still love it today. It is a real masterpiece. We also get a nice shot of one of the trains; it looks so huge compared to the scaled-down Disneyland trains.


While I have posted a photo or two of this area, I am unclear as to where it was. There are some little stationary cars (they probably wiggled back and forth like the ones you see in front of grocery stores), but where exactly was that shrunk-down neighborhood?


Scott also included some scans of his ticket books! These appear to be the equivalent of Disneyland's "Magic Key" books.


I only have one Knott's ticket book in my collection; I wish I had more!


We even get a scan of the envelope that the tickets were sent in, along with the order form. $14 for four ticket books? What am I, made of money??


Once again I'd like the say THANK YOU to Scott Heinz for sharing his personal photos and scans of vintage Knott's with us here on GDB!

17 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Major, that miniature town was located close to the Merry Go Round (in it's old location). The stage coach route used to run right behind those buildings.

TokyoMagic! said...

Oh, and I've heard that the fire wagon is still backstage somewhere, but the firehouse was torn down, or at least the upper 1/2 of it was removed back in 1985. The remnants/ruins of it now just contain tables and chairs for guests to sit and eat their food. Sadly, the destruction at Knott's began way back when.

Chuck said...

Great memories, Scott! Tanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

Walter Knott appears as a contestant on a 1954 episode of "You Bet Your Life" with Groucho Marx:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXc-A5Z_Yzw

K. Martinez said...

These are so cool, both the photos and ephemera. Love the Timber Mountain Log Ride shot with Calico Railroad passenger cars behind it. Thanks for another wonderful trip down memory lane, Scott!

Melissa - It's great to hear from you again. I miss your commentary here on GDB.

Melissa said...

Thanks, Ken! I've missed GDB, too.

Major Pepperidge said...

TokyoMagic!, thanks! It's such a funny little area, and I don't remember ever seeing it, personally.

TokyoMagic! again, what a weird thing. "Let's only partially tear down that building". What?? Or you could just leave it be for no money at all! So strange. I guess they figured that people REALLY wanted to eat their meals "al fresco".

Chuck, you have already helped a lot, but I encourage all GDB readers to go through their photos and share the Knott's/Disneyland/??? pictures here!

Melissa is back!! Hooray, and welcome. I have seen that "You Bet Your Life", Walter is pretty low-key, but I get the feeling he is tickled to be standing next to Groucho.

K. Martinez, I only wish I had more vintage Knott's to share. And somehow it's more fun when they are from somebody who can tell us something about them! Just like the pix that you have shared.

Melissa again, I was worried (really!), so I am glad to know that you are OK.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Alonzo/Scott for sharing the pics of your youth. Much appreciated.

JG

Irene said...

Seeing the tableau of "Night Watch" brings back memories. That whole area was so beautiful. So sorry they took those Indian figures out to make room for the Pony Express ride.

Monkey Cage Kurt said...

OH MY GOSH, Melissa is back!!! I’m pining for a poem or something. Good to have you back! Don’t do that to us again, we missed you, funny girl!

Monkey Cage Kurt said...

Well, I just had to look up the “Walter Knott You Bet Your Life” on YouTube. It was fun to see him. He was a good lookin older guy, and seemed like a very good man. What I also found impressive was that he appeared with Klondike Kate on that episode. They didn’t do too well as contestants though :(

Alonzo P Hawk said...

I'm glad you all enjoyed the photos and ticket scans. I'm glad to share them as they bring back great memories for me too!

Extra special monday as well to know @Melissa is with us (although you were always there in spirit). Welcome back!

Monkey Cage Kurt said...

Nice pics Scott, thank you! You know, if you cropped the one with you at Boot Hill it would look just like it was taken in some desert region.

Major Pepperidge said...

JG, I'm hoping that appreciation like yours will compel others to share their photos (like you did)!

Irene, I'm sure I saw those sculptures when I was a kid, but I don't remember them. :-(

Monkey Cage Kurt, we can't expect a poem right off the bat!

Monkey Cage Kurt again, those old shows are so much fun. Have you see the YBYL with Ward Kimball?

Alonzo, thank you again!

Chuck said...

Melissa - I think we were all a bit worried. Glad to have you back again!

Nanook said...

Melissa-

I've come a bit late to today's offering - but let me also sing out at your return. You've been missed.

Melissa said...

Getting alittle verklempt here!