Friday, March 20, 2015

The Mark Twain and River Shore, July 1958

It's time for another dip into a box of slides from July, 1958. 

Jeez, did everyone have to take a picture of the Mark Twain? I guess it just goes to show how impressed guests were when they saw the gleaming white, filigreed layer cake floating on the calm water of the Rivers of America.


Zooming in a bit, we can see the lucky few who snagged one of the folding chairs out on the extended bow of the riverboat. I've never managed it, but then again, I kind of like being up high. Notice the goods waiting to be loaded (but never are); bales of cotton, and various casks and crates.


Nearby, on Tom Sawyer Island, there is all kinds of activity going on. To our left, a raft is loading up for its one-minute trip (if that) back to the mainland. Above then you can just see Tom's treehouse.


Again with the zooming?! There's the raft again, and to the right is the dock where folks could catch themselves a real fish. In the distance, the masts of the new Columbia sailing ship.


5 comments:

K. Martinez said...

Nice Rivers of America images. The Mark Twain Riverboat like the Disneyland Railroad is an attraction I never fail ride when visiting the Park.

I remember reading about those real fish and how management would fined the dead fish stashed all over the park because guests didn't want to hang onto them all day. Can't say I blame them.

Thanks, Major.

Major Pepperidge said...

K. Martinez, I'm the same way, I always ride the "Twain" and the railroad. The few times either one of those attractions has been closed for refurbishment have been disappointments! It's almost like it's not Disneyland if I don't do them. Also, the whole "Carry your dead fish around with you all day" concept was pretty flawed from the beginning!

Chuck said...

Wait - you mean you don't do that every day?

Unknown said...

Little-known fact: the shack on the fishing pier was a small sushi bar. A little ahead of its time because who really wants to eat raw fish!?

Major Pepperidge said...

Chuck, I do, but I like to believe it's because I am a rebel. I keep a sardine rolled up in my sleeve like a pack of cigarettes.

Patrick, I like sushi, but I might be a bit reluctant to eat Disneyland sushi! I guess I'm a sushi snob.