Sunday, March 22, 2015

Skull Rock and Snow White's Wishing Well, July 1967

It seems like it's been a while since I've shared a nice photo of Fantasyland's Skull Rock. So let's look at one now! It looks as if the Chicken of the Sea mermaid is scratching his noggin with her scepter. They're friends! His fearsome appearance is softened somewhat by the tropical plants and bright flowers. It's such a shame that his beautiful feature had to go when Fantasyland was updated in 1983. It was a magical spot, and… no princesses!


Not that I necessarily have anything against princesses (within reason). Snow White's wishing well and grotto are still two favorite places for me… especially if you visit them at night when the crowds are (theoretically) low. Hopefully this area won't be sacrificed for some newer, flashier offering.


6 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

That's a pretty stunning image of the "Tuna Clipper" and Skull Rock. And the shot of the Grotto captures the whole area, Mom, Dad and all.

Thanks, Major.

K. Martinez said...

With my morning headache, I wish the mermaid was scratching my noggin with her scepter.

Major, have you ever seen Dina Goldstein's Fallen Princesses series?

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, I've never heard it called the "Tuna Clipper" before! It sails on the wind bringing tuna and happiness to all. As for the Grotto, we even got the reflection of the Snow White "skull" (distorted as it is)!

K. Martinez, not only have I not seen the Fallen Princess series, I've never heard of it! What is it? I'm wondering if it is one of those things I've seen floating around the internet in which an artist portrays the Disney princesses as "goth" or bad girls or something like that?

K. Martinez said...

Major, click "prev" or "next" to navigate:

http://dinagoldstein.com/fallen-princesses/

They're interesting and some quite good.

Nanook said...

Major-

I'm on first name terms with the Mermaid - so 'Tuna Clipper', it is.

Major Pepperidge said...

K. Martinez, I had seen just the Snow White image, somehow. The Rapunzel photo is *harsh*, yikes!

Nanook, I wish I was on first name terms with the mermaid.