Friday, March 27, 2015

Matterhorn and Tomorrowland, June 1962

Happy Friday, everybody!

Man, do I love this first photo! From June 1962 (look at that June Gloom!), we have this fantastic view of Tomorrowland as seen from the Skyway. The bucket has just left the Tomorrowland terminal, and we are on our way to Fantasyland. I love the round buckets, and the way the cables converge in the distance, just like a draughtsman's perspective layout. Down below, a sub is chugging away, and (oddly) the Matterhorn chalet is chugging away too! 


Zooming in to the lower left, we get a nice view of the Yacht Bar. I get a kick out of its simple, angular, mid-century design. There's a whole group of ladies with babushkas (lower left), and we can see the long line for the Monorail - or maybe it's for the subs. Or both.


Here's a slightly more standard view of the Matterhorn as seen from the sub queue. Now if only the sky wasn't so cloudy! I like being able to see the excited child's gesture from that one Skyway bucket. "Look over there, Dad!". What do you think he's pointing at? I think it might be the waterfalls that were the entrance (and exit) to the dark ride portion of the Submarine Voyage.


11 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

My oh my-! Such Matterhorn/Skyway/Yacht Bar loveliness-!! And the 'June gloom' only adds to the view.

Thanks, Major.

K. Martinez said...

What fantastic views. It doesn't get any better than this. I love a sunny day, but for me, June gloom is when Disneyland looks its best. It possesses a certain quality of light which brings out the colors of Disneyland. It also gives it that dreamlike quality. In addition, it's how I mostly remember the skies above Disneyland as a child.

Extra wonderful set today. Thanks, Major.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

Wow the sharpness and clarity of the first shot is amazing.

And the return of Babushka Friday woo hoo. Thanks for posting Major.

Love the June gloom. We have been at 90 for over a week and it's not even easter yet. Yuk

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, everybody loves June Gloom! It's a few weeks of comfort before the long hot summer.

K. Martinez, I think I usually prefer it to be sunny and blue skies (a few puffy white clouds don't hurt) when it comes to photos, buy I do like the way the sky looks here. In my memory Disneyland was always sunny when I was a kid, not sure if that is true or not.

Alonzo, the clarity really is key, so often a nice photo will just not be that crisp. For a second I misread your comment as "The Return of the Babushka Four", which sounds like a Sam Peckinpah movie - four badass ladies who shoot up the town, all wearing babushkas of course.

Brad Abbott said...

That first shot is definitely pretty impressive! The clarity of a shot like that, especially from the Skyway, is pretty incredible.

As always, thanks for digging these up and sharing them with us!

Chuck said...

I've never been fond of drinking on duty, and it seems like that sub is a poor influence on its Swiss neighbor. And it's not even noon! For shame! No wonder they moved the Matterhorn to Fantasyland.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff today, Major. Yacht Bar is a personal favorite.

I wonder where the pointing youngster is today.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

Brad Abbott, it's true, when you consider that the Skyway bucket was moving along briskly, it must have been hard to get a good sharp photo like this.

Chuck, the real reason that the Matterhorn was moved is because of school zoning. Politics! It makes you wonder.

JG, I often wonder about the people in the photos… it would be amazing to be able to know what became of them over the years.

Anonymous said...

I always liked the monorail beam's "S" curve dodging the yacht bar. When the yacht bar went, so did the S curve.

Nancy said...

The Yacht Bar.....so wanted to eat there! That close-up view is sheer perfection!! :-)

Dean Finder said...

Has anyone decoded the pennants painted on the yacht bar?

From the left corner,
E A T (no pennant is a red square) I U

then from top to bottom to the right of the entrance
A
C
H

not sure if that should mean anything