Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Pair From March 1961

Let's start today's post with a photo taken from the Skyway as it is about to pass through the mighty Matterhorn. This is an unusual view, in which you can see a small section of the mountain close up. The tubular steel track - a first for roller coasters - criss-crosses below us, while an alpine waterfall cascades into a small pond. You can also see the normally-hidden dirt-filled planters that were used for the small fir trees. Are there still trees on the Matterhorn? In the background is the sign for the Fantasyland Autopia.


This strangely grayish photo looks cold, and it must have been at least a little bit chilly; sweaters and coats are on almost all of the guests (except for the tough guy in the foreground)!

8 comments:

Connie Moreno said...

You can barely see a tough check with neato white sunglasses and it looks like she's not wearing a coat. My hero.

Thufer said...

Two very compelling photo's. Longing again for the smooth ride of the single 'bob' as intended; and a cozy look at the chalet at the terminus of the Skyway.

Orange Co Native said...

I kind of find it odd that the Disney company did not build a Matterhorn Bobsleds at Disney World Florida, Paris, Tokyo etc...

Does anyone know the reason(s) why?

It is a popular ride at Disneyland. Just wondering.

Major Pepperidge said...

Connie, I thought I was your hero!

Thufer, I wonder if I ever rode the Matterhorn when it was just one bobsled at a time; it's still a great ride though.

OC Native, I've seen concept artwork of a Matterhorn at Epcot (for a proposed Swiss pavilion). I'm kind of glad that ours is the only one... I don't want all the parks to just be cookie-cutter versions of each other!

bloefeld said...

Love the unique perspective in that Matterhorn shot.
I will be riding it today!

JG said...

I understnad the sweaters, both photos give me chills.

Thanks Major.

I read that 20 mins. a day of reflecting on happy memories is proven to reduce BP and stress. By saving your photos to my screensaver, I can do that.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

JG, saving lives is all part of the job! ;-)

Rich T. said...

I'm late with this comment, but...that's one of the coolest shots of the Matterhorn I've ever seen; it somehow perfectly captures the atmosphere and excitement of the Bobsleds. Thank you for posting that!