Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Freedomland, July 1962 - Part Dos

Freedomland, continued!


That's not the Mark Twain, it's "The American". I believe that there was a second steamboat, called "The Canadian". I like the two curved staircases on the fronty bit. Notice that this boat only has two levels on which guests could stand, rather than the 3 on the Twain. When I think of sternwheeler steamboats, I think of the Mississippi. But at Freedomland, you took a tour of the Great Lakes. If you look to the right, you can see two smaller sidewheeler tugboats, which were (as far as I can tell) the equivalent of the Keelboats at that other park.


Another view of The American, with one of the Santa Fe steam locomotives passing by in the background. The small trestle bridge over the water is a nice touch, I'd like something similar at Disneyland.


Also visible from the Great Lakes was this shell of a building in Old Chicago, which caught fire several times a day. Folks are gathered to watch as firemen extinguish the blaze, often helped by small children from the audience.


Stay tuned for more Freedomland!

3 comments:

Connie Moreno said...

Very neato! I find myself wishing I could jump into that first photo!

Nancy said...

i always loved the top of the stacks where it looks like two crowns.

any idea what those red buildings are in the second picture?

bonus skyway in picture three...oh, yeah!!!

Major Pepperidge said...

Connie, I hope you are wearing hip waders.

Nancy, those aren't buildings, they are red railroad cars - the "open air" kind like they had at Disneyland in the early years.