Friday, May 06, 2011

Zorro Parade, 1958

Swish swish swish! That's the sound of Zorro's rapier as it slices the letter "Z" in your puffy shirt!

Walt Disney's "Zorro" television program was a smash hit from October 1957 through to June 1959. In 1958, lucky fans of the show could see Zorro (played buy Guy Williams) and a host of colorfully costumed characters in a parade down Main Street U.S.A.


Here's a wonderful shot, with Vesey Walker and the Disneyland Band at the start of the festivities. This photo reminds me of a genuine small town parade that I posted on this blog years ago. Notice the sign in the distance heralding the opening of the Grand Canyon Diorama.


This parade could only be improved by using the music to the Main Street Electrical Parade!


And there he is, the man himself.... ZORRO! At least I think that's him. Black clothing and a black horse made him a mere silhouette, perhaps fitting for this man whose identity was a secret.


I wanted to include this close-up of this group of young boys who are obviously thrilled to see their hero!


I have a few more photos from this parade comin' up soon.

10 comments:

Don Alejandro de la Vega said...

That looks a lot like George J. Lewis in the second slide. These must be one of the numerous Zorro Days from '58 and '59, where the actors appeared in character in a parade and put on shows in Frontierland.

TokyoMagic! said...

It looks like two of those kids have Zorro on their T-Shirts!

Matterhorn1959 said...

Love the Zorro T-shirts. Now I have to find them....

Katella Gate said...

Will this fox so cunning and free make his sign of the "Z"? I just hope it's not on me.

Tinker Bell said...

I love these! I still have a ridiculous crush on Guy Williams!

Heidi Ann said...

Very cool - I loved Guy Williams - even though I don't imagine that's him in the parade! We still have the Zorro souvenir ring my husband got when he was a boy. He thinks it must have been something he sent away for?

JG said...

AACk, you mentioned the Electrical Parade theme...

The earworm consumes me....

JG

Unknown said...

Man how I would've loved to see Zorro as a kid!! Would've been a dream come true! As usual.. great pics.

PS: Thanks for the info on the "Hee Haw Valley" post on my blog!

Kathy G said...

Yes, that was indeed Guy Williams on his trusty horse in the Disneyland parade. He was so close to the audience that there was no way of it NOT being him. However, during the subsequent stunt show that took place on the Mark Twain and on the streets of Frontierland, it is very possible a stunt double was used during a sequence on the roof of the Golden Horseshoe Review.

Here is video on YouTube put up by Guy Williams, Jr - this is from the family's own home movies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp2NfHe2wNI

For further info on Guy Williams, check out his bio book link on my website - GUY WILLIAMS...From Zorro to Lost in Space. http://www.zorro08.webs.com/

Major Pepperidge said...

Kathy G, thank you for that great video link! Amazing. I have one single photo of "Zorro" on the roof of the Mark Twain (albiet at a distance).