Pooh For President Parade, October 1972
Parade photos. Yeesh. You know what I mean! It's like a twice-removed version of actually watching a parade that is mostly just an obstacle to be avoided. But I don't want to complain! Well, maybe a little. Today's images are from a "Pooh For President" parade from October, 1972. This was the Silly Old Bear's first run at the White House; GDB friend Chuck sent us some Pooh For President photos from 1976... see those HERE and HERE.
Luckily, today's photographer managed some level of self-control, only taking four photos of this parade, instead of the dozen or so that might have happened. So let's take a look!
There's Goofy, he's gone rogue, leaving the parade path, shocking the nearby guests. "He's gone crazy!". "Somebody stop him!". I think we see the fuzzy feet of Pluto behind him, just think of the trouble they will cause together.
It's kind of fun to see King Leonidas from "Bedknobs and Broomsticks", which had debuted one year earlier. Do characters from that movie ever show up in the parks anymore? He's with Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear, two other characters who may be permanently retired. Say, who's that in the distance?
Why, it's Pooh himself! No fancy limo for him, he's a bear of the people, and will walk on his own two feet. His friends Eeyore and Tigger have come with him from the Hundred Acre Wood, hoping for plum appointments. Tigger wants to be ambassador to France.
Pooh was over-marketed decades later, but how can you not love him? I like his Uncle Sam hat, though it should have a bee on it just like his old hunny pot. What if he'd won, instead of Nixon?? Makes ya think.





15 comments:
That Dippy the Goof is quite the wisenheimer! Gee, it doesn't look like a very elaborate parade. Where are the floats? Where are the banners? Where are the balloons? Where are the Glock Girls?
If Pooh had won the election, I bet he wouldn't have had to resign in shame.
Thanks for the parades pics, Major!
That's a nice picture of Goofy. It matches his animated cartoon persona quite well. Seems like there is a pretty tall guy inside the costume. "I think we see the fuzzy feet of Pluto behind him, just think of the trouble they will cause together." A pack of marauding dogs! I bet they're rabid, too! Sounds like a job for the Killer Swans!
I thought maybe King Leonidas might actually have been Prince John from Robin Hood. After checking, you're absolutely right, it's King Leonidas. I should never have doubted you! [JB grovels at Major's feet] The two characters do look a lot alike, except Leonidas wears a pointy crown and John's crown is more flat.
I vaguely remember the "Pooh for president" 'campaign'. I didn't really understand it at the time... and I still don't. Although he would've been lightyears better than the president we ended up getting at the time... or now. Is Eeyore walking on two legs?!?! How? Why?
The only reason Pooh lost the presidential race is because he isn't wearing pants. Donald has the same problem. (Donald Duck, that is.)
I (and a couple other Jr.Gs) have mentioned here before that I don't care much for parades either. It would have to be a really interesting parade to make me want to stay and watch it. Thanks, Major.
Well, we’ve got a history of electing “poo” for president. An extra h doesn’t hurt…or help. 😁
Pooh would make a hunny of a candidate but he's 101 years old. But it would be fun to see screechy on the presidential seal.
Another parade? Thanks, though, Major, I'm heading for the rides.
Zach
One of the things I love about Disneyland are pics of the Disney characters in the park. Goofy is my favorite with next being Pooh.
Thanks, Major.
Ah, Pooh before they decided to make him bigger than Mickey (in promotion, not in size. Ha! A bear that's taller than a mouse, can you imagine???)
I don't think Pooh ever really wanted to be president. One get's the idea that someone said, "Hey, Pooh! Put on this cool hat and walk down the street and we'll give you some honey!"
Goofy's just running with his pack (this was before they got the choppers and leather jackets).
They promised Eeyore he could be "Secretary of Bother."
Hey, I'd vote for President Pooh! He'd make sure we all have the bear necessities, like a singing chicken in every pot. Of course, they had to forbid write-in candidates at our high school mock nominating convention, because they found out about our plan to nominate Bill the Cat, so maybe I'm not the best judge of presidential mettle.
In the first picture, the angle makes it look like Goofy is grabbing Pluto's tail.
"The only reason Pooh lost the presidential race is because he isn't wearing pants."
I don't know; it worked for Lyndon Johnson.
I loves me a parade. Have done since I was a little kid picking candy off the shoulder of the road at the Firemen's Carnival.
Oh, and I almost forgot, the Vintage Fashion Award goes to the two little girls running alongside Tigger in the second picture. The younger one gets a Helloo, Little Sailorette! and the older one gets a walk-on part on The Brady Bunch.
I detest parades if I have to watch them, but they’re great for riding haunted mansion 4x in an hour.
I love Pooh, but worry about his foreign policy experience. I probably would vote for in 2008.
Thanks Major!
JG
TokyoMagic!, it’s true, this does look like a very bare-bones parade. I believe that Pooh originally rode a tank down Main Street, but it tore up the pavement. It’s possible Pooh would have gotten in trouble for selling weapons to another country.
JB, I’m sure the folks who hire employees take one look at tall skinny guys and know what they are best suited for. Can anybody be trained to be a huggable character? Or should these people already have a background in acting and mime and dance? King Leonidas and I went to college together, so I know him pretty well. That guy could put away the brewskis! The (name here) For President” thing was a fad for a long time. Yogi Bear and such. It was a good excuse to get your character’s face on a pinback button, at least. I say that I don’t care for parades, but I have seen some fun examples at Disneyland, so I guess I’m a hypocrite.
Budblade, AMEN!
zach, hey, all the other guys are almost a century old, why not a silly old bear?
K. Martinez, I really do love seeing the way guests interact with the characters, they are usually SO happy!
Stu29573, Br’er Bear is bigger than a mouse! You are probably right about Pooh’s candidacy, he just wants to get along, and wearing a hat is always fun. Goofy tried to get away from his gang background, but they kept pulling him back in.
Melissa, these days I would happily elect Pooh. I feel my urge to rant coming on, so I’d better cool it. Actually, what is that “tail” shape? I can’t figure it out. Ha ha, I’ve heard that famous recording of LBJ. Now he seems like Cary Grant by comparison. My favorite parade was a little 4th of July parade in Austin, Minnesota. So cute.
Melissa, I’m not sure I would have ID’d that girl’s dress as a sailor design, but now I see it. That other girl has her purse and everything, she’s all dolled up.
JG, I just knew you and I were commenting at the same time! I am way more confident in Pooh's foreign policy than... well, no ranting!
Of course, we all know the dark secrets and scandals of the Pooh for President Parade (PFPP - pronounced like blowing a raspberry). You can see them all trying to break their mothers' backs by stepping on cracks, and the candidate himself is clearly trying to smuggle a bucket of KFC into the park disguised as a top hat.
Ha! Bill the Cat. I hadn't thought of that mangy feline in decades. I even had a Bill the Cat t-shirt back in the day.
"I believe that Pooh originally rode a tank down Main Street, but it tore up the pavement."
Pooh was going to ride a tank down the jungle-lined streets of Adventureland, but President Nixon didn't want that imagery any more than he wanted the "Cool, Conservative Men" song left in the movie version of the musical 1776.
This is definitely more of a 'cavalcade of stars' than a parade. But I like it! I always loved when the characters would just start strolling down Main Street, unexpectedly. Those are the times when you would see people following the seven dwarfs in a single file.
Now, 99% of the time, I head for PotC, JC and HM, when a parade starts, but I will admit there are a few parades that I love(d): Christmas parades - especially at night, with all the familiar Christmas tunes; Main Street Electrical Parade for nostalgic reasons; and EPCOT's Tapestry of Nations parade (fantastic music and unique floats and giant puppets).
There's always fun 'people-watching' in these parade images. I would love to step back into these scenes, now.
Thanks, Major.
Post a Comment