Tomorrowland Snoozles™
Today's Snoozles™ are examples of slides that I was excited to scan, only to find that they were kind of blurry - to the extent that they were not going to work for a regular blog post. It's OK, now I can feature them as Snoozles, but these are ÜBERSNOOZLES! I'll bet you didn't know that there were so many subcategories, but that's how science works.
This first one is from the early 1960s - a Skyway view (surprise surprise), in which we glare down upon Tomorrowland with our teeth clenched and veins in our necks throbbing. In other words, business as usual. The jaunty slanted roof of the Yacht Bar (pronounced "yaw-kkkkkkt bar") always brings joy to the little children of the world. There's plenty of seating available. There's the Moonliner of course, and the Astro Jets, and all kinds of other stuff
Next, a similiarly-blurred photo that was apparently taken from the Disneyland Railroad as it chuffed into the station (or perhaps this was taken before Tomorrowland Station was built, since it didn't open until April of 1958). It's sort of an unusual view, with lots of delicious grass in the foreground, and colorful flowerbeds to beautify the Autopia freeway. The Tomorrowland Skyway terminal is to the left, and the Art Corner building is to the right.



4 comments:
Major-
The undulating monorail beamway is quite hypnotic, seemingly trying to mirror that of the benches and seating nearby. Initially I had some trouble finding the always-present attraction posters in this early Tomorrowland, but I see them hiding in the lower structures of the olive and toothpick lighting 'standards'.
That sea of Dichondra [okay, it's probably not Dichondra] is a nice change of pace form the asphalt normally seen near the Autopia roadbed.
Thanks, Major.
Well OK, it IS blurry, but not THAT blurry. We can still do a little people watching. Like the lady in white next to the Yawkkkt Bar. She's barfing into her purse. I think she choked on one of the extra "K"s in "Yawkkkt"
This one's not as blurry. Shouldn't we be able to see Screechy? Maybe she's behind that tree. Or maybe she IS partly visible and I'm just not seeing her? This angle looks unrecognizable to me. I didn't know the Autopia track got so close to the Train track.
Interesting Snoozles, even if they are a bit blurry. Thanks, Major.
In the second pic, only one out of the three visible Skyway gondolas is occupied by guests. The park must not have been very busy that day. And the image may not be in sharp focus, but we are still able to see the animatronic Walt that was placed into the Moonliner's cockpit, upon Lillian's suggestion.
@ JB-
"Shouldn't we be able to see Screechy? Maybe she's behind that tree".
Not when this image was shot, evidently. The Richfield Eagle is not original to the attraction. I'm guessing this image is from late 1956 or early 1957, as it appears the Autopia queue area is missing the stripy yellow/blue triangular overhang and the entire queue area is located farther south, placing the front edge of the original overhang almost underneath the departing [south] cable of the Skyway. When the stripy yellow/blue awning was added, the entire queue area moved farther north, locating the front of the overhang more in-line with the arriving [north] Skyway cable - and I presume at that time, the Eagle was added.
Post a Comment