More Stuff From the Box!
It's time for another selection of STUFF FROM THE BOX!
We'll start with these three employee pins from the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company. I don't have any information about these, but they look "vintage" - whatever that means. The pins were given for somebody's fifth, tenth, and fifteenth anniversaries with the company.
Another employee pin is this badge from the REO Motor Car Company. Ransom E. Olds was an entrepreneur who founded multiple companies in the automobile industry. In 1897 Olds founded Oldsmobile. In 1905 Olds left Oldsmobile and established a new company, REO Motor Car Company, in Lansing, Michigan. I was surprised to learn that the REO company survived through to 1975! I would imagine that this badge is probably from the 1950s, but it's just a guess.
Years ago I shared a photo of another employee pin from the Holiday Inn chain of hotels, but that one was for somebody's eight years with the company, while this one is for lucky 13. With a "genuine" Ethiopian emerald!
I don't collect things from the 1939-40 New York World's Fair like I used to, but I still love a quality item. Like this brass key blank! Yale and Towne had a pavilion at the Fair, as close to the Trylon and Perisphere as possible.
I have a small number of employee pins from Sears (see some of them HERE); today's example has a modern geometric design that doesn't scream "Sears" to me, but I'll allow it. 15 years of selling reasonably-priced items to all Americans!
I hope you have enjoyed today's selection of STUFF FROM THE BOX!






2 comments:
Major-
I'm a sucker for that Yale key blank, too. (I wonder if the few mechanical locks they currently make still use the same keyway-?)
Thanks, Major.
1) Arrr, this be pirate's treasure, says I. Great, crisp detail on these Goodyear pins. And I like how the Roman numeral years are worked into the designs. Plus, the gold has a satisfyingly deep yellow color that I find appealing.
2) I've heard of the Reo car company, mostly from crossword puzzles. Seems like Reo comes up in those puzzles at least once a week. Wow, I never would've guessed that it was still around in 1975! I would've thought, more like the 1930s. I do like the triangular shape and the silver and red coloring. The type-written number kinda ruins the elegance of it though.
3) Ooh, I like this one! It's the same as the "years ago" pin in your link, except this one has a green gemstone, which looks nicer than the yellowish one from the 8 year pin. Hmm, "Genuine Ethiopian emerald"... I suppose it could be. I would sooner believe that it was a fragment of a crushed lime-flavored lollipop.
4) More gold!... OK, more brass. But still very shiny and hypnotic! The key must have been made during a total solar eclipse, as shown by the black sun radiating its rays upon the Trylon and Perisphere. ;-p
5) I suppose this design IS kind of random for a Sears pin, but I like it! Not sure what a Sears pin should look like... a mail-order catalog? A power tool? A guy posing in long johns? I like the design. It's like you're getting four... four... four pins in one!
Hard to pick a favorite from today's offerings, but I think I'll go with the three Goodyear pins. Thanks, Major.
Post a Comment