Sunday, September 06, 2026

OK-zles™

Let's start today off by wishing GDB friend Melissa a very Happy Birthday! She was gone for a long time, but now she's back, and it's great. Sue B. (another GDB friend) kindly supplied some vintage birthday photos for the occasion. 

It must have been a nice warm day, maybe June (hey, just a guess), and kids are enjoying cake and ice cream. I hope that's milk in those cups, and not fruit punch, which should never be eaten with cake.  The Birthday Boy has to share a chair with his baby brother, how humiliating. Party favors are strewn all over the table, including paper hats, noisemakers, crayons, a roll of tape (my favorite!), and a few books, including"Fairy Tales to Color", with Snow White and the Practical Pig on the cover.


I found a jpeg of it! 1977 is the date on this item.


This one's a bit fuzzy, but we get a wider view of the shenanigans. Mom appears to be scoopiing ice cream, I think. Check out the Wonder Woman tablecloth! Kind of an odd choice for a boy's birthday, but hey, Wonder Woman is cool. I remember when I was a kid, my mom would invite all of the neighborhood children, and somehow they all showed up! I guess it was just the thing to do back then. Maybe the liked free cake, or hoped to get the gold in Olympic "pin the tail on the donkey" competition. Happy Birthday, Melissa, and thank you, Sue!


*********************************

Today's Snoozles™ cannot be easily categorized, so I will place them in the blurry "OK-zles" slot for now. This first picture (from May, 1960) would be nice if it wasn't for that little tree, which was obviously a relative of Charlie Brown's tree. The family resemblance is clear. I sure wish we'd been treated to an unobstructed view of the three-car red Monorail ("Li'l Stubby"), but that tree came out of nowhere and frightened me. Meanwhile, the park is nearly deserted... we can just see a few guests in the distance, but it's like a ghost town, otherwise.


And from August, 1962 comes this dark-ish, kind of boring photo of Sleeping Beauty Castle. If you stand on your head you can see the dent, though it is subtle. I dunno, I can't think of much to say about this one!



5 comments:

Lou and Sue said...

Happy Birthday, Melissa! It’s wonderful having you back, and especially fun to celebrate your birthday!!

Major, I think the birthday kid is a girl…all the guests are girls, plus the cake is the bottom half of a doll’s dress (a plastic doll body is inserted into the top). And there’s Wonder Woman, as you mentioned. IF the kid isn’t a girl, he sure is popular with the ladies.

I do see The Dent, just barely.

Thanks, Major.

Nanook said...

Melissa-
I'm SO GLAD you're here so we can celebrate your birthday - in style. (Wonder Woman, naturally). I'm uncertain why The Major thinks the birthday celebrant is a boy, as it appears to me to be a girl-!

Major-
I think these two images definitely fall into the OK-zies category. In the 1st one we can even spy a gardener watering the flora around the Matterhorn and a bit closer, the Kodak Picture Spot.

Thanks, Major.

TokyoMagic! said...

Happy Birthday, Melissa!!!!

I think that's Fifer Pig, based on his hat. It looks like he's trying to tell Snow White about a similar wolf that once terrorized him and his buddies. Snow White's thinking, "Yeah, yeah.....keep pestering me, pig, and you'll end up as tonight's dinner for the Dwarfs!

I thought that might be a birthday girl, too. I was also basing it on the cake which is the bottom part of a "dress," as Sue pointed out.

There are a couple of those "doll cakes" on the cover of this magazine/catalog. And on the pages inside, there are some of the unclothed top halves of the dolls that you could purchase. I suppose in a pinch, you could always just shove a Barbie doll feet-first into a cake.

Cake and Food Decorating Year Book by Wilton

That might be Lillian Disney who's watering the plants at the base of the Matterhorn. I read about how Walt put her in charge of watering ALL of the park's plants, but would not let her hire any outside help.

Thank you, Sue and Major! And once again, a very happy birthday to Melissa! :-)

JB said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MELISSA!!! (I used all caps so it would be easier to read :-p) ♫♪ "It's so nice to have you back where you belong!" ♪♫

Ha! Something about Little Brother makes me laugh. Maybe it's because his ears sit so low on his head. He looks like a Kewpie doll. The girl on the right reminds me of a young Liv Tyler. I wonder what the roll of tape (Major's favorite) was for? Maybe they taped the tablecloth down so it wouldn't blow away.
As Sue stated, I don't think the "birthday boy" is a boy! Like you said, the tablecloth is Wonder Woman themed. And the cake (on the left) looks like one of those 'princess' cakes, where the princess's billowing dress is the cake, while the upper part of the princess is a Barbie-like doll that sticks into the top of the cake (not seen here). (I already had all this written before I read Sue's comment... stuff happens sometimes.) ;-)

In the second birthday pic, Dad(?), on the right is carrying something. I think it's a time machine.

Many thanks to Sue, as always, for the birthday pics.

BlursnoozKzle #1: It's a nice photo with lots going on in it. But the things going on are incomplete. Like "Li'l Stubby" blocked by the tree, that you mentioned. Also, part of the worker watering the Alpine flowers, part of the trashcan, part of the Lagoon rocks, and part of the Matterhorn, which looks rather dark and foreboding. I bet Chernobog is sitting on top spreading his great leathery wings! Nice view of Screechy though.

BlursnoozKzle #2: To paraphrase Linus, "I don't think it's such a bad little pic. It's not bad at all, really. Maybe it just needs a little love." It has a clarity and saturation to it that I like. Plus, we can see Tinker Bell's zipline and the upper part of one(1) Skyway bucket.

This may be a Sunday Snoozle post, but I bet we get LOTS of comments! Thanks, Major.

JB said...

Dang. I should've refreshed the screen again before posting my comment! Tokyo! also talks about the cake, etc.. Looks like we're ALL talking about the same things this morning!