Tuesday, September 08, 2026

In Frontierland, April 1963

Here's a nice pair of 1963 photos of a family (and friend?) in Frontierland! Starting with this fun portrait of a happy family in front of Rainbow Ridge and right next to the sign for the El Zocalo marketplace. The queue for the Mine Train looks about as busy as we ever see it!  


A second photo seems to have been taken by Mom, and now family friend (I presume) is there. Maybe the two men were school chums? In the background, to the right, is a bandstand that moved around the park, I seem to recall that I had at least one photo of it in Adventureland. Or was it Fantasyland? You can see a 1962 photo with it HERE.
 

14 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-
I like 'Suzie's' bangs and sideburns-!

Thanks, Major.

JB said...

A nice, pleasant looking family. So pleasant that I don't want to crack jokes at their expense. So I'll concentrate on everyone else!

In the first photo, the Chartreuse Lady's clothes look like they're from 1968, not 1963. She must be a time traveler!

In the second photo, Stripy Shirt Boy (on the right) looks like he's caressing a kitten in his arms. Looks like he has a box of popcorn, but what else? What could he be holding that would require such careful protection?

Nice photos. Nothing special... just nice and pleasant. And that's enough. Thanks, Major.

Hey! The text window is back to its normal width!.

TokyoMagic! said...

"In the background, to the right, is a bandstand that moved around the park......"

Major....ha, ha. I'm picturing a bandstand that roamed around the park on it's own, from land to land. But I knew what you meant!

JB, it looks like Chartreuse Lady is holding an ice cream bar, and has taken at least one bite out of it.

And it looks like the family friend might have a pictorial souvenir guide rolled up in his jacket pocket. At least he knew not to fold it in half! A curled guidebook can be re-flattened!

I like these Frontierland pics, Major! Thanks for sharin'!

zach said...

This is like a poster of the nuclear family of the 60s. And that bandstand was featured in a Stephen King novel.

Is that a 10 ride booklet in his pocket? The 15 ride was a better value.

I remember visiting the park one year and finding out that the mine train wasn't there anymore! I hate to say it but TRE!

Thanks, Major, for getting there before it was gone.

Zach

JG said...

Ticket book, check.
Fountain pen, check.
Good friend, check.

Nice family photos, and always a pleasure to see Rainbow Ridge.

Thanks Major!

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, poor Susie was subject to her mom’s haircuts!

JB, you can crack jokes at this family, it’s OK! But I know what you mean. Chartreuse lady is definitely a few years ahead of her time, but everyone else looks right in line with the day’s fashions. Stripy boy does sort of look like he’s holding an invisible cat, in fact it’s the only logical explanation. Glad to hear that the text window is back to normal, I guess it took Corky (the Google blog guy) a few days to get to it.

TokyoMagic!, ha, I guess I did phrase the sentence about the bandstand poorly! It’s only 8:30 on a warm morning, and an ice cream bar sounds great already. Oh man, I would have been very upset to be looking forward to the Mine Train, only to find it GONE!

JG, I assume the friend’s wife took this photo, but she didn’t take a lot more, unfortunately. I think there might be one or two from this batch, but that’s all. Still, they look like a happy group.

Major Pepperidge said...

zach, Oops, sorry, I scrolled to fast and too far! The story of my life (I don't even know what that means). Er, the bandstand was in a Stephen King novel? I don't get it. Because it wandered around with a life of its own? I guess a family with small children might not be able to do 15 adventures, even though it seems like a crime to me that they didn't get those ticket books. Oh, and now I see that I combined TokyoMagic's comment and your comment. I'm doing great today.

Melissa said...

I love squirmy kids! They're timeless!

I keep thinking of how, when I'm by myself in the parks, I always offer to take pictures of families so one of them doesn't have to be the one taking the picture, and then they take a picture of me. My brain tried to fill in a scenario where the "family friend" was a stranger doing the same thing, but the family didn't quite understand.

JB, I a agree about the clothes! Mom's butterfly blouse, and the purple and yellow ladies in the background of the first picture, all look like they might have come from the second half of the 60s.

"I'm picturing a bandstand that roamed around the park on it's own, from land to land."

The Maidenform Bandstand - You never know where it'll turn up!

Melissa said...

An invisible cat? Must be the Cheshire Cat! (The grin is behind his hand.)

Major Pepperidge said...

Melissa, I sometimes offer to take photos of people, and then I run away with their phone. It’s hilarious! I must have 20 iPhones now. I admit that there is a chance that I typed the wrong date for these pictures, but I’m pretty sure that 1963 is correct. It would take some digging to find them to confirm it.

Melissa, the Cheshire Cat is one of my favorite Disney characters, largely because of this pink and lavender stripes. Psychedelic!

Major Pepperidge said...

*HIS* pink and lavender stripes

Bu said...

I wish I had the impetus to squirm about....usually "still" is my "jam"...along with "pensive stare without judgement"....in any case; yes: the NUCLEAR family...or as I say "Familus Nucleus". or the shortend FANU....pronounced F'nju (liquid U of course)....and random Asian guy: well it all makes sense kind of sort of....I think Daddy was probably "Corporate guy taking foreign business partners around Disneyland" so : the Big 10 makes sense as they had to get back to the office in Fontana...Mom looks like "Disneyland Ambassador 1965 "type". Unfortunately, I am a bit blinded by "Chartruese (sp...help...) Capri Pants with "standard Disneyland employee white sweater...that she swiped from an unsuspecting Alice look a like on Storybook Land. I enjoy that there is a bandstand...although it looks like more of a Main Street/Frontier mashup...similar to the WDW version of Frontierland.....and please note: that the Rainbow Ridge Clarion was the West Sides "Newsletter" in the 80's akin to "The Main St. Gazette" and my own "Tour Guide Times".....I forget what the East Side had: if anything...hmmm....I would also like to peruse the items in El Zocalo....when Disneyland was a shopping exploration rather than...well.....what it is now....A certain Pop Star who has since crossed over...would spend hours and hours in shops....luckily I was there to administer the collecting...and coordination to get it backstage to his car: which was just kind of a standard limo...but parked in basically Ron Millers spot....and God Bless Dolly Parton...the best story I must relay...is one of a few visits....Limo pulls up at MG....door opens...inside a flash of red sequins...knee high red boots....giant hair...fully "Dolly'd up"....first thing she said as she was blinding us all with the sparkles: And Dolly says DEADPAN "Do you think they will recognize me?!"....of course we all burst out laughing...and she did too. Wherever the "real" and "official" Disneyland Guest Book is....the one that Hirohito/JFK/Nehru/etc.....signed....is a single page of Dolly Parton's signature with a small heart....She was a tiny petite lady...but she filled the space everywhere she walked. Thanks Major.

JB said...

Thanks for the "Dolly" story, Bu. :-)

Dean Finder said...

The "family friend" was actually just a guy who put on a sweater and walked around the park telling people he was Walt Disney.
"You don't look like Walt Disney"
"I get that a lot - it's just that I shaved my mustache. Lilian complained about it for years"