Saturday, May 17, 2014

Random America

Here are some random (and hopefully fun) vintage photos from around the U.S. of A!

Back in 1958, a chain of "Golden Point" restaurants was founded, the first one being in Highland Park, Indiana. According to one website, there were eventually at least 80 locations throughout the country. The distinctive A-frame buildings were topped with a 21-foot golden spire. Some of them seemed to be drive-ins, but this one (from August 1960 - location unknown) looks more like a walk-up, counter service restaurant. I love the orange and blue (World's Fair colors, or maybe Howard Johnson colors). There are no more Golden Point restaurants, but many of the buildings have been repurposed for a variety of other businesses.


Ah, Minnesota! I have a fondness for that state, having spent many summers fishing there with my grandparents. And when I was a little fella, we made the pilgrimage to Bemidji to worship the giant statues of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox. Just like these people are doing in this 1972 photo.


I wish I knew where this was but I am just going to say it's the USA. If there ever was a house that needed to be haunted, it is this Victorian example, up on its own little hill. The leafless (dead?) plants are a nice touch (though it is winter, to be fair). Norman Bates' mother would feel right at home. It definitely has an "Addams Family" vibe. Maybe there is a harpsichord or a spinet in the parlor. And a mournful child with a pet spider up in the tower. You don't even want to know what's in the cellar!


I hope you have enjoyed these vintage pix!

7 comments:

Nanook said...

Olde America is so much fun to look at. I can't decide if I like the "haunted" house better than Paul Bunyan, or the other way round.

As for the autos... The green one is a 1955 Pontiac. Behind it is a black Oldsmobile - I think a 1952. In the 3rd image is a metallic green 1954 Ford.

Thanks, Major.

TokyoMagic! said...

Major, Were there carnival rides around the Paul Bunyan statue when you visited it? I checked on Google Maps and it shows just grass and trees behind the statues now.

K. Martinez said...

That last pic of the "haunted" house is a gem, however there's something odd about it. Where's the access to the front porch and door? I can't imagine climbing that retaining wall and walking up the steep grassy knoll to get inside my house everyday. Even the sides of the house couldn't hold a path because the slant of the hill comes right up against the house with no flat area to support a brick or concrete pathway. It almost looks like a studio backlot structure.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

Love the first pic. Those old A Frames were iconic. Reminds me of the old Der Wienerschnitzel Restaurants. Pup n Taco and Tastee Freeze also rocked the A Frame but had flat brim at the bottom.

That house looks like it came straight from the Universal back lot. Norman....Norman....

Alonzo P Hawk said...

@ K. Martinez..
It almost looks like a studio backlot structure.

Old so. cal minds think alike.
I remember the Bates house on the old studio tram tour. It looked a lot like this.

Connie Moreno said...

Holy cow, you mean that last photo is NOT the Psycho house at Universal Studios???? That's one creepy awesome house!

Melissa said...

We have one of those A-frame buildings in the town where I live! It was various kinds of restaurants when I was little; then we moved away. When I moved back as an adult a few years ago, it had become the office for a used car lot (the building next door had been torn down and the used cars had taken up the space.)

Also, Paul Bunyan's hands are tiny!