Sunday, October 04, 2009

Fun With Plastics, November 1960

Somebody was mighty impressed with Monsanto's plastic Home of the Future. Won't the folks back home gasp when they see it? One of my favorite touches is the waterfalls and ponds, making it resemble (barely, I admit) a shrunkified version of Frank Lloyd Wright's "Fallingwater".


OK, who's going to build an accurate model of the Monsanto Home of the Future, with a lift-off top so that you can see all the stuff inside? WHO?? Not me. But I wish somebody would, and then they could sell it to me for a reasonable price, or give it to me just because.

7 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

Well if I could make one I'd consider giving it to you just because you shared all these great pics of it and are so charismatic. But that's me. They say I'm generous to a fault with anything I don't have!

TokyoMagic! said...

I don't remember HOTF, but I do remember that those wonderful mid-century waterfalls and zigzag walkways remained there for years.... until they felt the need to go and give the area a Little Mermaid makeover. They just spoil everything!

Nancy said...

every time i see a picture of this, it makes me sad that i never got to see it....

how could they have thought that this would ever NOT be futuristic??

CoxPilot said...

Well, maybe not a REAL world model. But, what about a 3-D walk virtual through? Then, we could all see the great details.

FutureCitizen said...

Whenever I see the HOTF I think of the story about how cast members who worked inside the house, knew before they saw them, if a man or woman was about to walk through the door. And the answer is..?

The Viewliner Limited said...

This is an ultimate Disneyland Icon. And I remember it well. Especially the electric toothbrush! Too bad! All gone!

Jim said...

I am fortunate ( read old) enough to remember it's form, but I can't conjour up any memory of touring the interiors. Funny, it could have come off the cover of Architectural Record within the last few years. Everything old is new again right?