Sunday, May 09, 2010

Expo '67, Montreal

Hey! Before I get to my regular post, I wanted to alert anybody who was at the recent "Knott's Preserved" event (or those of you who wish you had been there) to the check out latest installment of the "Season Pass Podcast". Episode #124 has interviews with Chris Merritt, Bob Gurr, Rolly Crump, and more, AND you'll even get to hear the entire Knott's Preserved presentation. The show is almost two and a half hours long. You can download the show HERE, or subscribe to it on iTunes HERE.

****************************************************************************

Somehow I have managed to accumulate quite a few photos from Montreal's "Expo 67", so I thought that I would share a few of them today.

In this first photo we are facing towards the Canada Pavilion's "Katimavik" (the inverted pyramid), with the Saint Lawrence River in the background. At the top of the Katimavik you can see lots of people taking in the view. The orange ball in front of it was the "People Tree", made of many sheets of transparent nylon with images of Canadians on them. The pointy building to our left is the Ontario pavilion. I think that this might have been taken from the top of the French pavilion.


Now I think that we are facing in a north east direction; through the haze you an see the polygons of the "Man the Explorer" pavilion which included exhibits such as a human cell magnified 1,000,000 times. The yellow-striped roof to our right is where you could catch a Monorail; the small building that looks like the Flying Nun's cornette is the Trinidad - Tobago & Granada pavilion.


I'm not entirely positive, but I think that this photo was taken from the top of the Katimavik. We are looking towards Great Britain's pavilion, with the Ontario pavilion in the lower right. The building that looks like a small volcano is the "Western Provinces" pavilion (covered by zillions of cedar shingles). The shiny glass building to our right is the Quebec pavilion. Notice the "Minirail", which somewhat resembled Disneyland's Peoplemover.


Is there any interest in Expo '67? I have about 70 nice slides (we're done with the panoramic views!) if you folks think they are worth seeing.

9 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

You do have my curiosity Maj so I'd say let's work some in. :) Really impressed by the scope - in terms of size and designs. That inverted pyramid deal, very striking concept and look at the scale of that thing. Whew.

TokyoMagic! said...

I'm not as familiar with the Montreal Fair as I am with the Seattle and the New York World's Fairs, but I love the architecture in these pics and wouldn't mind seeing more!

Pegleg Pete said...

These are great! Thanks for sharing them.

Nancy said...

yes, more please!

i especially love the Tomorrowland/EPCOT Center Future World feeling of both the 64-65 and 67 Fairs

there appears to be a lot of interesting things to talk about here....

Scott said...

Yes, them all please, 67 had the most forward thinking architecture of any fair of the last half of last century.

And some parts of it are still around, and the Haitat building still being lived in.

Cheers,

210Frwy said...

Thanks for the Knott's link. I listened to the presentation and it is excellent.

Anonymous said...

Just saying...

On the last picture ... the huge building in front of the UK Pavilion is ... the France Pavilion!

Just saying! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Sure, put up Montreal, I'm not huge on WF's but they have their interests, and I always love the comments, even if I dont understand the details.

JG

Anonymous said...

Hi! I would love to get copies of the 67 pics for my dad, who worked there as his first job and is retiring next month. Would you be willing to email me some? Tarapattee@hotmail.com. Thank you very much!