Thursday, April 08, 2010

Skyway Views, January 6 1957

I've seen dozens (hundreds?) of photos taken from the Disneyland Skyway, and I'm still not sick of them. Well, OK - I'm kind of sick of some of them. But when they involve Tomorrowland I am still a happy camper.

Check out this one, carefully dated by the photographer (January 6, 1957), showing a fairly early Land o' Tomorrow. To our right we see the back (and partial backstage) of the Yacht Bar before it was picked up and moved to the other side of the street. And to our left is the lake where the Phantom Boats sputtered and conked out; the loading dock is still there, soon to be removed for the Motor Boat Cruise and the Viewliner station. The Space Bar and Autopia are in the background. This slide was cropped square because the photographer included his thumb!


This photo was taken before that first one, but it's a bit odd, so I'm posting it second. I guess the Castle was the intended subject, but we can still see the Yacht Bar, and "Snow Mountain" to the right. I'm not sure what to say about the large area of dirt down there... is that where the short-lived Mickey Mouse Club Circus was? I realize that by the time this photo was taken it had been gone for over a year. I'd love to hear what your theory might be. That's right, I'm talking to you!


And here's an odd detail from that same photo... above the sign for the Yacht Bar there are what appear to be chunks of... what? Looks like some sort of paving, but with inlaid mosaic pieces. Or something. Why is it there? Where am I and why am I so very dizzy?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first glance I was thinking that it was a simple piece of asphalt roofing material----but a closer look makes it appear like some mosaic pieces that you would see adorning the Watts Towers. Beats me...

TokyoMagic! said...

I believe the Mickey Mouse Club Circus was located in the back of Fantasyland...near the Fantasyland Train Station.

Pegleg Pete said...

Looks like crushed cans or crushed scrap metal to me – I've no idea what it would be doing on top of the Yacht Bar, though. And yes, as TokyoMagic! says, the circus was on what would become the site (from October of '56) of the Junior Autopia in Fantasyland as you can see in this photo over at Daveland: http://davelandweb.com/aerial/popup.htm?images/fantasyland_aerial_11_4_56.jpg

Pegleg Pete said...

Ooops – the circus was between the Junior Autopia and the Fantasyland Train Station (they appear to have briefly coexisted). See this aerial photo: http://www.usc.edu/libraries/archives/la/disneyland/dland_aerial_1956.jpg. From other aerial photos it appears that the dirt covered area behind the Yacht Bar remained as it is in the photograph until, as the Major points out, they shifted the Yacht Bar and built the Viewliner loading area. At that point the dirt covered area was transformed into a walkway which led to the House of the Future and the hub.

Blossom Nose Murphy said...

Hi Major, Longtime lurker, first time commenter.

There is a construction wall at the base of the hill, so I'd suspect it's the first signs of Matterhorn construction. I have fond memories of looking at that corner of the Circlevision building, as that's where the Peoplemover would enter. Sigh...

As for the mosaic, I'd be willing to bet that it's roofing tar that some youth turned into a coin toss game.

Connie Moreno said...

Ok, I know this is going to sound really weird but here goes...*taking deep breath*

Eveytime I see that you've posted pictures from the Skyway, I get all a twitter! These are exceptional glimpses into the past that I treasure. I have no idea what those metal pieces could be but to be honest, I didn't think about them much because I am so enthralled by the first photo!

Thufer said...

I just find this period in DL history to be so extraordinarily exciting. The RUSH of thought that was in Walt's mind must have been simply infectious. What I would have given to have been a part of the magic that was ALIVE in the park leading up to the 59' expansions. It must have been glorious.

Patty said...

Ooh fun a Disney mystery ;)

stu29573 said...

Ok, this is really out there, but the "tiles" remind me of....Christmas trees! Of course I have no reason for them to be where they are...and I kind of need to squint to see them that way... Mayeb I should lie down for a bit

Nancy said...

nice...love the first picture, the simplicity of Disneyland in the earliest days is so cool. wish we could see the FRONT of all those surely gorgeous posters on the fence!

maybe that black stuff on the roof of The Yacht Bar is some weird space goop...call those guys at Area 51! ;-)