Friday, April 16, 2010

Main Street Stuff, April 1966

We're back to Main Street today, starting with this great photo of Erik, the hideous villain from "The Phantom of the Opera". I assume that the cast member is wearing one of those rubber masks made by the venerable Don Post; it's a pretty good likeness too. My guess is that he is pretending to be a dummy in this photo, ready to jump and scare the bejesus out of some poor shnook. I wonder if the monster craze of the mid-1960's was responsible for the Phantom (and sometimes Mr. Hyde) being here?

There's Chip and his mom, they managed to get a table at the crowded Carnation Corner. Mom's enjoying a nice smoke (I say it's a menthol Viriginia Slim), and really, what goes better with a cup of coffee? Chip is anxiously awaiting his grilled cheese sammich. Meanwhile there is something disturbing about this picture, something inexplicably evil...


... I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight.

14 comments:

Tracy said...

Virginia Slims are still 2 years from being rolled out. If it's a menthol in '66, make it a Kool, baby.
And you're right, that is pure evil back there.

TokyoMagic! said...

Why do I hear the "Twilight Zone" theme playing in my head when I look at that little girl?

Nancy said...

haha.....classic!

love the Phantom, and i would be the schnook, coz that is my kind of luck!

Connie Moreno said...

LOL, I also heard the Twilight Zone theme playing in my head! Too funny.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Children of the Corn... IN DISNEYLAND !?!?! -- Bad idea Major. This will lead to hippies rioting... Mark my words :-)

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Disturbing... Yet I'm drawn to these like a moth to the light....

Thufer said...

hippies; HIPPIES;; ahhhhhhhhh run away. Hippies with strollers... NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

outsidetheberm said...

I'd bet that little girl kept her parents on their toes all day long. She has plans...

Donald Taylor said...

In '64 I saw several people having their picture taken with Mr. Hyde. One young woman put her are around him and reached up to plant one on his cheek when... well, you know. They went the length of Main Street with her screaming bloody murder and him laughing hideously. It's my second strongest memory of the day, first being seeing Walt coming out of Main Street Cinema,just after the commotion.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! That girl is the spawn of hippies! She's got reefer madness! She and her kind will ruin this country with talk of peace and caring for the environment and turning away from consumerism! Someone must stop her and all those like her! Someone must save us!

RegionsBeyond said...

Fantastic post, Major! The Phantom photo is very good, and the "trailer" photo of the evil little girl is hilarious. I quite approve.

dennis said...

chip's mom is smoking a Kent cigarette with the exclusive micronite filter for a cooller, refreshing, taste.

Chiana_Chat said...

Mom ain't fussed none about some horrible monster child. In fact, look at Mom. Folks, that smoke is mel-low!

Okie said...

lol...great post with some more great photos. Thanks for your continual sharing.