Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Plaza Inn, April 1966

Today we're going to eat at the elegant Plaza Inn, still brand new in 1966. As long as there's french fries, I'll be happy. Chip and his folks apparently have to wait for a seat (there's mom with a cigarette again...). Even in this humble corner of the restaurant, you can see the antique marble table, flocked wallpaper (did you know that wallpaper travels in flocks?), fresh flowers, and skillful carpentry that made this the fanciest place to eat at the park - until Club 33 anyhow. Not that I'd know from personal experience. Notice that Chip is holding a tripod, which means we will be getting a few nice, in-focus night shots!


Hey, where are the french fries?? Oh well, I guess there must be something on that menu that I'll eat. I'm very finicky! Daveland recently had a photo of the Plaza Inn menu from about a year earlier, see it here.

13 comments:

stu29573 said...

Hmmmm...No steak. I guess I'll go with the whitefish...

Connie Moreno said...

I have to admit that I started reading this blog, well...for the pictures. But now? Now I learn things like wallpaper travels in flocks. I feel so enlightened.....LOL

Rich T. said...

Those prices--break out the time machine! I love a good French Dip Sandwich, but...with potato salad?!? Eeeewww!

Anonymous said...

I visited Calif/Disneyland last summer for my 40th HS reunion. A friend and I spent the day at Disneyland and we chose the Plaza Inn for dinner. I had never eaten there before and we had a great meal out on the "porch" area. We had the Fried Chicken and it was all good. From where we sat you could look out on Main Street and the Sleeping Beauty castle.

Katella Gate said...

The only thing that make me happier than tinted slurry is terrazzo. It's not on the menu, but the Plaza Inn has plenty of it.

TokyoMagic! said...

I love terrazzo too, Katella....and slurry!

I'll take the hot turkey sandwich. It used to be served "open face."

My security word was "majigr." Is that as in "thing-a-majigr"?

Major Pepperidge said...

I've had good meals at the Plaza Inn too... I specifically remember pasta Alfredo (with chicken).

And yes, I like terrazzo too!

stu29573 said...

Man, I've been waiting for my whitefish forever!

Nancy said...

gee, everything sounds so good, its hard to decide! i am going to try the stuffed spring chicken with a Sanka and a French pastry for dessert!!

have eaten here on 2 of our three visits. its such a nice place :-)

outsidetheberm said...

Few things are better than a late dinner on the Plaza Inn's veranda, surrounded by fragrant night blooming Jasmine. It's worlds away but close to heaven.

Great shots, David.

Major Pepperidge said...

Thanks Ken!

Chiana_Chat said...

Daves (Dave here & of Daveland) I've been busy a lot lately so have missed lotsa comments but am catching the posts and they always bring a little extra joy to the day! :)

Connie: LOL

outsidetheberm: wish I was there now enjoying some of that jasmine with a nice meal at the Plaza Inn. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh man, i remember that menu card. I always had pot roast. I want some now.

what a beautiful room it was (is?).

I remember once (I was about Chip's age) the room had a strolling violinist, my Dad called him over and tipped him to play "My Little Alice Blue Gown" for my Mother, who was really embarrassed by everyone looking while he played.

JG