Saturday, April 10, 2010

B&W Publicity Shots

Today I have two early black and white publicity photos; I'm guessing that they must be from about 1955 or '56.

This shot of Main Street is nice, if not very exciting; to me, the most interesting part is that girl. I'm not even going to be more specific, because it will be clear to all of you which girl I mean! Is she a cast member on the loose? Or is she a guest who always dresses like Becky Thatcher? Whoever she is, her mom (?) is wearing a similar dress.


I also find it interesting that the text on the back is mostly about the castle, which you can't even see.


One of the first things you'd see when entering Frontierland was Davy Crockett's Frontier Museum. What was inside? I have no idea! Probably some Indian artifacts, old rifles and pistols, maybe some farm implements or tools, and a grilled cheese sandwich with the Virgin Mary's visage. Oh wait, the last one is what I had for lunch. Dig the boy's cool white shoes! Gotta get me somma those.

8 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

What are those two big black round objects on the rooftop just beyond the Gibson shop? And in front of them, it looks like there is a man standing on the roof with his hands on his hips. Am I just seeing things?

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great post - I love these old publicity stills!

Hey TM, those two round things look like the dishes they used to transmit the TV broadcast on opening day - I wounder is this shot is from 7/17/55???

Major Pepperidge said...

I can only assume that those are some sort of TV transmitters, like VDT says. And while I never made the connection until just now, if you look at the note on the back of the photo, it starts with the numbers "755". Could that be "July 1955"?

Thufer said...

Looking at the condition of the planting bed at the very bottom of the picture, I would think this is VERY EARLY indeed.
Could you imagine having pictures from July 55 (?). Amazingly wonderful picture.

Katella Gate said...

I wish to register a complaint Major. You very prominently mention "That Girl" in your captions, yet Marlo Thomas no where to be seen. Really, such Bait-and-Switch is beneath you.

I am mollified, somewhat, by the seldom seen street signs pointing out "Main Street" and "Town Square E".

Connie Moreno said...

I remember seeing some sort of "square dance" performance on one of those old Vault Disney DVDs a long time ago. I believe it was opening day. Shoot, does anybody know what I'm talking about??

Major Pepperidge said...

Katella Gate, I almost made a Marlo Thomas joke, but didn't!

Connie, I do know what you're talking about! I'll have to check my DVDs and see if the girl is in that dance sequence.

Nancy said...

always enjoy the black and white photos...it gives such a completely different feeling to the park, for me at least.

it makes me remember just how long this wonderful place has been around as well....

photos from the first few weeks of the park? that would be awesome!