Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Trip to Disneyland, July 1958 - Part One

Today is the first of several posts featuring some nice images, circa 1958! I'm going to begin with the obvious starting place... the family's arrival in the old parking lot, and the approach towards Main Street Station.

I love this first shot, you can sense the anticipation that our photographer was feeling! There's plenty of parking, and you can see the old tram with its yellow and blue striped roof. And those cars! Wowee.


We're getting closer. No need to take the tram, we can just walk. It appears to be about 10:15, presumably the park just opened, and it's a fine sunny day.


Population: 10,000,000. I hope they're not all here today!


We've finally walked through the tunnels beneath the train tracks, and have turned around for one last picture of the station (with the old 48-star flags a-flyin'). If it was me, I would head up the steps for a ride on the train. But that's not what this photographer did! Stay tuned tomorrow.

9 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

FANTASTIC pics! It's great seeing them in the order that they were taken....I can't wait for the next installment!

Anonymous said...

It's weird for me to see it without the iconic Matterhorn!

But boy talk 'bout your "you are there"-ness. Yup. Looking forwards to the next.

Nancy said...

i wanna go NOW!!

these are such nice pictures, and
such a beautiful day we are going to have at the park...wonder where we're going first : )

Matterhorn1959 said...

Fantastic shot of the Main Street Station. I love the sign for the Horse Drawn Trolley. I missed out on the silhoute piece many, many years ago on E-Bay.

Thufer said...

parking lot love......thanks for the return to a time when dl management knew what to do with precious real estate.
like everyone, i look forward to where this will go.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Parking lot love indeed... Why does that darn parking lot make me feel so warm & fuzzy?

Barry said...

This community of Disneyland Lovers really gets to me. You all say and think as I would or would wish to. The pictures are wonderful and the comments are just as nice. I am very pleased to be getting to know you through your messages and photography.
I love the long distance view of the parking lot. When I was a kid that scene alone would have been the real start to that day's adventure.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Probably the coolest early close-up DL RR station I have seen. Beauty!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Barry do join the gab as you'd like :)

Isn't it, Viewliner? Festively spangled with decoration on the windows and all. It's a great little station, has a convincing feel to it - and it's just the station I'd like to catch a train to.