Monday, March 09, 2009

Sweet Music at Disneyland! July 1968

Hooray for Everything! The Kids of the Kingdom have performed at Disneyland and Walt Disney World for many years, starting in the late 60's (1968 is the earliest mention that I could find), and continuing in various iterations into the 2000's. For all I know, they are still performing! They seem to have been modeled after some other well-known easy listening groups such as "Up With People" and "The Doodletown Pipers" (I kid you not). Clean cut and ruthlessly upbeat, even grandma could smile and clap along to them. They released an album in 1968, and with thanks to Nancy, I can tell you that they performed songs such as: "What the World Needs Now", "Say a Little Prayer", "I Love a Parade", "The Bare Necessities", "Thoroughly Modern Millie", "The Look of Love", and as the old K-tel commercials used to say, much much more! (What, no "Helter Skelter"?)


I thought this might be the Strawhatters, but the slide was labeled "Royal Street Bachelors", so I stand corrected. If one banjo is good, then THREE banjos is even gooder. I say they are playing "Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey". These city slickers in their straw boaters and plaid jackets are tearing it up, Dixieland style, in New Orleans Square.

8 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I love that stage. I think I love every single thing about the 1967 Tomorrowland.

I have the Kids of the Kingdom LP and they are wearing those same outfits on the cover. Groovy!

Anonymous said...

Re: Royal St. Singles. It's gotta be Swanee River. Or Ring Ring de Banjos?

Gosh how blond hair does shine in a flash.

Nancy said...

there is no other stage like it, thats for sure...its my favorite icon of "the new Tomorrowland" that opened in '67

i personally wish they had recorded "This Land is Your Land" on that record but i guess i cant have everything. never heard of The Doodletown Pipers...

i love banjo music...its so lively

thanks for the nice pics today :)

Thufer said...

yup, i remember that stage as well. i always looked for a shady spot but seldom found one. the shows were always entertaining and vibrant. good memory.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Music at Disneyland still my fondest memories of all. Any music! Great pics as always Major. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

My mother loved the sort of musical drivel that poured out of the Kids of the Kingdom and we would always have to catch a show while at Disneyland. It was like heroin to her. My brother and I once seriously contemplated drowning ourselves in the submarine lagoon in order to escape "What the World Needs Now is Love Sweet Love" (even now it pains me to type the words). We ultimately thought better of our watery suicide pact, which you probably already surmised, since I am sitting here looking at vintage Disneyland pictures and not at the bottom of the" Finding Nemo" attraction, entertaining guests with my grimace of death.

Jason Schultz said...

The most interesting thing about the Tomorrowland Stage is that the 1,200+ chairs were taken down and put up EVERY DAY so the area could be cleaned.

Anonymous said...

IT WAS GREAT TO HAPPEN ON THE PICTURE OF THE KIDS OF THE KINGDOM. ALONG WITH 15 OTHER GREAT PEOPLE, I WAS FORTUNATE TO BE ONE OF THE ORIGINAL GROUP IN 1968. I FOUND THAT MY DANCE PARTNER AND THE CHOREOGRAPHER OF THIS GROUP, BARNETT RICCI, CONTINUED AS CHOREOGRAPHER FOR MANY, MANY YEARS SERVING ALL OF DISNEY'S PARKS. IT WAS A FUN CHAPTER IN MY LIFE.