Monday, March 30, 2009

Mermaids and the House of the Future, June 1960

I always enjoy seeing the mermaids at Disneyland. Hello girls, I'll be right there... just let me take off my sneakers first... hope the water's not too cold. There are stories of guys jumping into the lagoon, lured by the siren song of the mermaids; which just goes to show you that men will do just about anything for a pretty girl!


Somehow the House of the Future doesn't look quite as unusual when it is surrounded by so much foliage - usually portrayals of "the future" don't include lots of plants and a nice green lawn. This reminds me of my grandmother's back yard in Encino, there's even a garden hose looping across the flower beds. I can imagine a very pretty neighborhood full of these plastic houses!

4 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

Just awesome pics. Great!

Thufer said...

if true(guys jumping into sub lagoon) someone somewhere has a picture. would love to see that.

Katella Gate said...

Yeah, the HotF does look a little too "suburban" with that landscaping. Did the Japanese inspired plantings come before or after this picture?

Nancy said...

i myself find that the plastic house appears even more futuristic because of how out of place it looks in "suburbia", akin to Klaatu's flying saucer when it landed in the middle of a baseball field!