Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Three and a Half From November 1964

Today I have a selection of photos from November, 1964 for you.

First up is this rather gloomy looking scene of Tomorrowland, probably taken from the Disneyland Railroad. The crowds are light - it is the off-season, after all - just think of all the attractions you can ride! The Matterhorn looks especially massive for some reason.


Now we're outside the Enchanted Tiki Room, which had opened only about a year before. The little blond girl looks like she is dressed for church, and if she isn't careful, she's going to dump the ice cream out of that cone! If you look up above...


... it's the Barker Bird (blue version!). How often do you see a bird wearing a straw hat and bow tie?


You may have heard stories about real ghosts that haunt Disneyland. The spirits of lonely children are seen (or heard) after hours, and vaporous apparitions have been spotted on various attractions. Now I can finally offer a photo of one of the most famous ghosts - - the "Man in White"! I think I saw him once, but when I did a double take, he was gone. Strangely, he has never been seen in the Haunted Mansion, although it may be his spirit seen standing on the roof occasionally. Spoooooooky!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is very spooky.

Nancy said...

the castle looks like it is miles away in this first image...

always nice to see pictures of Adventureland. there dont seem to be too many of those :D

as for Mr. Ghost, is he standing on the railroad tracks? not that it matters...he has nothing to lose. is he a relative to Colonel Sanders, i wonder

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

I think I've seen that "Man in White" at Knott's! (me must have an AP). A friend tries to tell me the barker bird is the same bird they added to the end part of the Pirates queue, is he nuts or am I? Fun post, thanks!

Katella Gate said...

Everybody that remembers the barker bird raise your hand.

Anonymous said...

Gotta keep me hand down, 'cause I didn't see the barker bird. I did see a man in white there, and like this guy I first thought he'd raise a microphone and break out into a game show introduction.

The blond doll soon to be without ice cream in the top is just too cute, but even neater is the parents. They're not irritable and in a hurry to rush everywhere like a lot of peeps were when I've been there. They look like they're... having a nice time! :)

Anonymous said...

oh and grey day or not, that's a neat pic with the Matterhorn looming (it does have a lot of matter!), the Autopia with those 50s aqua, coral red, yellows etc and the skyway now doubling as gondolas.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I’ll bet the white ghost is the mud pots maintenance guy!

outsidetheberm said...

Aw, you can't fool us, Major. That's Mr. Roarke - "Welcome to Fantasy Island!"

He's just a little lost (and Tattoo's behind that rock).

Anonymous said...

Tattoo says, "De trane! De trane!"