Sunday, December 23, 2007

Santa's Village 1957 Part 3

Can you stand one more day at Santa's Village? I'm afraid you don't have a choice, but hopefully you've been enjoying the ride.

Check out this tiny building, with the clock helpfully informing us that it is five minutes past November. Or something. I never did learn how to tell time.


Here are the kids, with mom and grandma keeping an eye on them as they are about to take a ride on the Candy Cane Sleigh, pulled by real reindeer! I'm pretty sure the reindeer could fly, but maybe somebody else could say for sure.


The next three photos are from the interior of Santa's abode. Little sister poses next to an elf who is only slightly smaller than her. Why is the elf standing in the fireplace? What is the significance of the empty cradle? There is a bucket full of pine cones, which reminds me of the lost art of spray-painting them gold. I excelled in that when I was younger!


Yes, little girl, I wouldn't be too crazy about getting near this giant rabbit either. Peter Rabbit? The Easter Bunny?


And finally, here is our last photo from Santa's Village, featuring Kris Kringle himself and our still-slightly-nervous kid (wearing her "Santa's Helper Club" pin). When you're only three feet tall, Santa must seem like a giant, albiet a benevolent one.


Sadly, Santa's Village closed forever in 1998. I think it was used in an episode of "The X Files" looking suitably creepy in its abandoned state. I'm not sure what, if anything, remains on the site today. But it brought a lot of joy to families for many years, and I'm very glad to have these great photos as a reminder!

Just a note...I am going out of town tomorrow, so posting might be sporadic for a few days. I'll try to put up new stuff if I can!

4 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

Thanks for all the great pics Major. Have a Merry Christmas.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great Series, I feel like i've been there, even though I never have. Thanks for these special photo's of a time long gone. Merry Christmas Major!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the pictures! My family lives in Lake Arrowhead and I drive past this abandoned amusement park often. The giant candy cane in the front of the building is still there. :)

Connie Moreno said...

I'm giggling like a seven year old! I didn't get to Santa's Village until the early 70's so I never got to see it in all its glory. Thanks for these!