Thursday, December 13, 2007

Disneyland Entrance, August 1960

How many trips to Disneyland begin with a photo like this? Ya gotcher train and that impressive station, Mickey's usually-flowery face (not very colorful here), and of course, the POSTERS!

Those of you who have been reading Gorillas Don't Blog for a while might know that I am plumb loco about the beautiful silkscreened attraction posters that were seen around the park in the 50's and 60's. There are many examples of wonderful vintage artwork that was produced for Disneyland over the years, but for me, nothing beats those amazing posters. The bold designs and vivid colors are incredibly appealing. I love how many of the compositions incorporate large diagonal elements that contribute to their visual excitement.


My favorites in this photo? Well, it's close, but the incredible "20,000 Leagues" poster just beats out the Submarine Voyage, in my book. Just as a side note, most vintage posters tend to use no more than 6 or 7 separate colors, while the 20K poster uses about 12.

7 comments:

Jason Schultz said...

That shot sure puts the attraction posters in focus. It looks like the kid's favorite poster is 20,000 Leagues, too! Any idea what the round medallion on the train car says?

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Oh the colors! Like a squeegee to the retina’s! Those posters just jump right out at you! I like the Nature’s Wonderland one the best, the four little scenes are too cute! Although I like them all and I would love to have anyone of them. Thanks for this great photo!

jedblau said...

Man, this is what it's all about. I agree...I would sell everything in my collection before letting go of the posters.

Chris Merritt said...

I have an original 20K Leagues poster - they found a roll of them in storage here about 20 years ago, so one of my co-workers sold me his "extra" one. The colors are easily some of the most vibrant of any of the attraction posters in my book - and mine was in a roll that never got exposed to sunlight. I framed it behind non-UV plexiglas to protect it... I'm lucky to have it!

Major Pepperidge said...

Of course, jedblau has that amazing Rocket to the Moon poster! Even though there are many rare posters that I don't have, the Rocket to the Moon (and the flying saucers) are ones that I most desire.

I am fortunate to have all of the posters in this photo, although it looks like to the extreme right you can see what appears to be a sliver of a Main Street Station poster. I don't have that one!

Chris, I have heard rumors that many of the surviving posters were in storage (at WDI?) and that they were to be destroyed until they "disappeared"! The fact that the 20K posters were stored in a roll is backed up by the fact that many of them have very similar edge wear.

Unknown said...

Great picture. What a way to build up the anticipation for a fun day at the park.

Thanks!

outsidetheberm said...

Wow! Great image. Always love seeing the posters in place and doing their job. They certainly did help build anticipation.