Monday, December 31, 2007

Mine Train, 1973

(I found this post in my "drafts archives" on blogger.com, and was surprised to see that I had never actually published it. It was originally written back in July 2006...this dates from the bad old days when I still had my first scanner, so the image quality isn't quite up to snuff. I no longer have the slides, or I would just rescan 'em...anyway, I thought they would still be fun to see!).

For you fans of the Mine Train, here are two images from 1973. One photo features a brave engineer, he looks like he is making sure everything is safe before getting underway.


The second image shows a train that looks like it is out of service...maybe it was a slow day. This classic attraction had only four more years of operation until it was closed (in January of 1977). Sorry about the grainy images, these were very dark slides and I had to lighten them considerably.

5 comments:

spajadigit said...

One of my favorite attractions- some really great, rarely photographed views. I especially like the second one.

Matterhorn1959 said...

I can hear the narration looking at the first image.

Unknown said...

The photos still look great!

The buildings sure do look familiar! I may have sped by them really fast on Big Thunder!

Anonymous said...

WOW. I had to look carefully to see if it was ME in the first picture (it isn't). Appears the CM is prepared to release the manual brake (left hand) and engage the transmission in the right hand. The lever to the far right is the air brake.

The second photo is of a spare train on the spur.

Connie Moreno said...

These are pretty darn cool especially since my memories of this attraction are so vague. Once I became one of those superior know-it-all teenagers, I stopped riding it because it was lame. We all know how stupid I was....