Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Main Street U.S.A., 1950's

I am guestimating that these two images of Main Street date from about 1957. Find the Keppy Kap in this first photo! Judging from the number of photos of Main Street, folks found this stylized recreation of a "typical" small town to be a pretty neat place. I wonder how many of the adults might have actually grown up near a place that looked very much like this? On occasionaly trips through the midwest, I'll still pass through little towns that haven't changed too drastically since the 1920's and 30's, and they always make me think of Disneyland.


It must be fairly early in the day, the sun is to the east leaving long shadows. The benches are empty, but it won't be long before they are filled by guests resting their weary feet!

8 comments:

Stub Winged Bilge Rat said...

I really like these slides. The streets appear less perfect in their pavement back then which also makes them look more real, like a small town would look.
I'm thinking that these shots are not from the summertime, as those shadows would have shortened up to at least the sidewalks by 10:00 (shown on the clock in the first pic).

The Viewliner Limited said...

Just absolutely fantastic shots.

Matterhorn1959 said...

The rare surrey is seen in the first image.

Jason Schultz said...

I enjoyed these. Just another day on Main Street! Thanks.

jedblau said...

I'm going to the park tomorrow. Hope it's as empty as this!

Major Pepperidge said...

Good luck Jed! I think this should be a good time to go. Bring a sweatshirt though! And if you are going to ride Splash Mountain, do it early in the day.

Anonymous said...

Always enjoy those views of Main Street on a quiet day. Thanks.

spajadigit said...

I love these pictures too- but I'm going to disagree on that pavement thing- I love the fact that the Disney folks have really learned to manipulate the concrete in the last fifty years- the themed walkways look so much nicer now.