Monday, December 10, 2007

Macy's Parade 1968

I really should have posted these photos last month, seeing as they are from Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. But what the heck, it is as much a Christmas parade as anything.

Lest anyone should forget just who sponsored this shindig, Macy's reminds us all with this helpful banner. Let's all go to Gimble's right afterwards!


Mickey Mouse and many of his fellow Disney characters are standing on a giant birthday cake...there's Snow White and some of the Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Honest John and Gideon, Goofy, some li'l pigs, and the Big Bad Wolf.


There they go, in all their blurred glory.


And in keeping with the Disney theme, a giant balloon shaped like a certain duck looms, Godzilla-like, over the Dakota. "Rosemary's Baby" used the Dakota for exteriors that very year (just a fun fact for you).



I hope you enjoyed these, because there will be more tomorrow!!

6 comments:

Chris Merritt said...

Donald Duck was the official mascot of our beloved Montrose Christmas Parade this year! Sorry, I didn't get a pic...

outsidetheberm said...

Love this little slice of history. Thanks for sharing.

The Viewliner Limited said...

COOL? Yah this is very cool. Thanks Major.

jedblau said...

Very cool!

Daniel said...

Do they even have Disney characters on the floats anymore? I watched the parade this year, but have to confess to doing other things at the same time (I hate the D-list celebrity singing, which is easily 70% of the televised show).

I do KNOW that there were about 20 High School Musical people on floats, but I mean a dedicated JUST to Disney characters float?

That would be nice, but I bet Disney wouldn't do it because it doesn't promote anything SPECIFIC. Maybe I'm wrong though, or maybe they have a float specific to whatever DVD release is current.

BrerDan

Tobi said...

Snow White in this photo was my Mom who passed away 3 years ago. We never had seen a picture of her as Snow White while she was alive. It was one of her biggest claims to fame of her life yet we had no photo of it. My sister in law was able to track down this amazing picture our first holidays without her which was just months after her passing. I can’t explain how much comfort, joy and connection I get from this photo. Thank you for saving it and sharing it. God Bless You!!!