Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Two From Fantasyland

Today I have two "leftuggies" for you, both featuring Fantasyland!

Let's start with this one from October, 1970; from this angle, the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship is a jumble of masts, spars, rigging, and sails. As usual, I prefer it when the striped sails are unfurled. The Skyway buckets move to and from the Matterhorn, and a glimpse of the façade of "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" can be seen in the lower right. I really like this busy, colorful photo!


This next one looks like it is from the same lot as the previous image, but it is actually from July, 1967. Looking over the side of the Pirate Ship, guests were met with this impressive scene of whirling teacups, the spinning Carrousel, the castle, and (in this case) considerable crowds. 


12 comments:

K. Martinez said...

A pirate ship in a tropical lagoon next to a Swiss mountain and medieval faire. Only at Disneyland! Based on the dates of these images; in the October, 1970 pic the Pirate Ship in view is "Captain Hook's Galley" and in the July, 1967 pic the photographer is looking over the side of the "Chicken of the Sea Restaurant", except that I thought maybe the pic was taken from the Skyway. Thanks, Major.

Major Pepperidge said...

K. Martinez, D'oh! Of course you are right about the second photo being from the Skyway. What was I thinking? You are also right about the first one being Captain Hook's, though I'm not sure that there are any visual differences from that angle.

Chuck said...

KA-BLOOEY!!!! [Sound of my head exploding as my brain tries to process all of that wonderful, wonderful color]

K. Martinez said...

The pastel colored skeletal Skyway tower is just so cool.

Major, You're right. There are no visual clues on the Pirate Ship from that angle as far as I can tell. If it wasn't for the dates, I wouldn't know.

Melissa said...

OMG, there are so many levels and layers going on in that second picture it looks like one of those stage set models you build when you;re putting on a big show.

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful. Thank you so much.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

Chuck, I hope your home has vinyl wallpaper for easy cleanup.

K. Martinez, for some reason the towers remind me of the poles that hold up circus tents.

Melissa, maybe I should try a “tilt shift” on that photo to see if it looks like a tiny model.

JG, I knew you would like these!

Major Pepperidge said...

Melissa, I tried the tilt-shift effect, it didn't look that great...

TokyoMagic! said...

I spy Pinocchio and Gideon in that second pic! They are hiding among the palm fronds.

K. Martinez said...

TokyoMagic!, My what good eyes you have, grandma. It took me a while, but I see them now.

Chuck said...

Still can't find Waldo, though.

Major Pepperidge said...

TokyoMagic!, wow, very nice! I see them now.

K. Martinez, it almost makes me wonder if Honest John is nearby as well.

Chuck, Waldo can stay lost as far as I'm concerned!