Monday, June 15, 2015

The Mark Twain, 1956

Science has proven that photos of the Mark Twain are literally a dime a dozen (we all remember Dr. Heinrich Von Shnook's famous study). 

BUT... that doesn't mean that they can't be fun to look at. Like this first one, from 1956, showing the steamboat after it had just arrived at the landing; Everyone is getting ready to disembark (notice the cast member who is about to open the railing, and the band standing up. Bonus - the feathers on their hats cleaned the ceiling). One guy on the middle level is taking a few last photos from up there. The shore of Frontierland is a whole lotta bare dirt, except for a few scrawny shrubs.


Now we're up on the top level - that's where I almost always go! This affords us a nice look at some of the gingerbread details. We can also see the silhouettes of two cast members up in the Pilot House; I know you can ask to ride up there, but I've never done it. Someday?


5 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Is that Walt standing in the dirt behind the Mark Twain?

Melissa said...

Love the reflection in the first shot! And one rarely sees passenger-free shots like the second. So, they may be a dime a dozen, but these ain't you average dome-a-dozen shots.

K. Martinez said...

The first image is perfection. It's even postcard worthy. Especially if it was a jumbo sized postcard. The second image is nice in that it's such an unusual view. Thanks, Major.

Major Pepperidge said...

TokyoMagic!, of course it is Walt! It couldn’t be anyone else! ;-)

Melissa, this is definitely an above-average “dime a dozen” imiage!

K. Martinez, I have sometimes wished I could print out my own custom postcards, making them look as if they are 50 years old, with authentic-looking information on the back. Then I would go to postcard shows, and sneak some of them into a seller’s stack so that a collector could flip their lids.

Nancy said...

that would be cool....I am always excited when I get my prints and see one that I think is that nice a photo

Interesting view on the top deck. details are so pretty on this boat. We normally stand on the second deck and hang over the railing. Thinking about it, I realize that we always stand on the left side, so I think next time we will stand on the other side and catch a new view! :-)