Friday, December 29, 2006

Autopia, June 1960

Here's a great vintage look at the Autopia, from June 1960. The landscaping looks wonderful, and the two Richfield gas pumps in the background are awesome! I wonder how many times a vehicle could go around the track before it needed a refill?

It's easy to image being this typical 60's kid...the desire to drive seems to be strong in boys, especially. After two days at Disneyland, my five year-old nephew said that his favorite ride was the "little cars"!

Meanwhile, I drove one myself, and was amazed at how hard it is to push on the gas! After careful research, I discovered that you have to exert 3 million pounds per square inch to get the car moving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the vintage photos. Ah, the old Richfield gas pumps. Brings me back to my days in Arizona where my best friend's Uncle Dick Hornecker owned a Richfield Oil gas station. They don't make stations like those anymore and theme parks don't build classic attractions like Autopia anymore. Wonderful of you to post.

DisneyDutchman said...

Another winner Major! I remember how hard it was to push the gas way back then!! Sometimes my leg would cramp up! DD

Matterhorn1959 said...

I love the style of those cars. They are so cool looking, just like little Austin Healeys!