Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Skyfari, San Diego Zoo, 1973

It seems that "Skyway"-type rides have almost vanished from amusement parks all over the country; possible reasons include the fact that they are not wheelchair accessible, and that riders had a tendency to drop pennies, or spit, or otherwise misbehave while passing over guest's heads.


However, there is still a "gondola lift" attraction at the world famous San Diego Zoo, called The Skyfari. It was built in 1969 by the Von Roll tram company of Switzerland. Von Roll was also responsible for the Skyway at Disneyland, as well as Pacific Ocean Park, the '64 New York World's Fair (and other Fairs), Astroworld, and MANY more. Today's photos are from 1973


You just can't beat a skyway for views of any park! I think those are seals down there in that pool, although they might be giant carnivorous slugs from Tasmania.


In the summer, you can ride the Skyfari at night, which I pretty much want to do RIGHT NOW.


You can take a ride with total strangers right here!

9 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Wow, I remember riding that as a kid! I need to get down there and ride it again before they do something stupid like take it out. The last time I was able to ride one of these was at Busch Gardens in Tampa, FL in 2007 and it was like riding the one at DL again...or the next best thing!

walterworld said...

Great ride!

I used to love taking the Disneyland version at night during parade-time; it was always the best way to cross the park when the parade route was blocked off.

Thanks as always for another great post :)

Major Pepperidge said...

I'm with you guys, seeing this video makes me remember the Disneyland version, and makes me want to go to the San Diego Zoo - more to ride the Skyfari than to see the animals!

Omnispace said...

Skyfari is amazing because it crosses one of the canyons -- you get some incredible height! I never miss going on it when I visit the zoo. San Diego Zoo also has another relic of the 60's - the long Speedramps that take you back up from the bottom of the canyon. They even designed animal exhibits alongside them. Who can not want to go to a park that has both Speedramps and an aerial tramway? If only they had a monorail it would be perfect!

MIKE COZART said...

I grew up in San Diego and the Skyfari at the Zoo and the Skyride at Sea World were very popular. Is there a record for the highest span a Von Roll Skyride system reached? I'd bet that the San Diego Zoo must be it! My grandfather worked for Teledyne Aronautics from the 1960 till he retired and they always had their Chrsitmas parties at the NEPTUNE restaurant at Sea World which was the oppostite wheelhouse for the Sea World Skyride. The stations were both Tiki and the Neptune Restaurant was late 60's Modern and matched the look of the restaurant's architecture. Diners got free round-trip rides back then. It was always excting to be dining and see the loading stations as gondola cabins came twirling in. The Sea World Skride is still opperating,but the Neptune Restaurants is long gone--the building now being used as a oceanagraphic lab.

Connie Moreno said...

Oh man, I was already planning my trip down there for the Neptune Restaurants!!!

Oh well, I guess it's not the same especially since they no longer have the giant carnivorous slugs from Tasmania. Gosh, Major, you ruined my day...

Katella Gate said...

In 1976, this was the last "skyway" ride that I went on with my Mother. I nearly cried when I saw the pictures... Not that she's dead or anything, but the fact that you went over the lion pit gave her such an anxiety attack that we never rode another cable ride again.

I wonder if I print out the carnivorous slugs, she'll at least break out in a cold sweat. Hmm.

Katella Gate said...

.

vonrollskyway1 said...

It was called the Atlantis.Not the neptune.Love the 2 Vonroll skyrides that are here in San Diego.