Sunday, April 24, 2011

Knott's Log Ride, March 1977

Today's photos from Knott's Berry Farm feature the wonderful Timber Mountain Log Ride. Boy oh boy, did I love that ride when I was a kid! And it's still there; some of the scenery could use a little TLC, but the ride is definitely worth checking out!


The Log Ride opened in 1969 and was an instant smash. I'm noticing what appears to be a bunch of eucalyptus trees that have had their branches removed - for subsequent removal? - over to the right. Many more would follow, unfortunately.


One last look...

8 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

A classic ride. Happy Easter Major!

Major Pepperidge said...

Same to you, Richard!

Connie Moreno said...

WOW! How did you know I needed just a little push to go to Knott's tomorrow? These are great and I will try to catch similar shots tomorrow to share with y'all. Happy Easter and may you get lots of chocolate bunnies.

210Frwy said...

The Knott's Log Ride is one of the great rides. As a kid I loved the Knottsesque themeing. There was one woodland scene part that was particularly neat.

MintCrocodile said...

When I was younger, I used to think the mountain was REALLY tall and the drop REALLY big.

Every time I would go on the ride, my heart would race fast as the logs made the climb up on the belt. As the logs went over, for some reason I would always hold my breath. ha ha

And I don't know if it's just me, but with Supreme Scream behind the mountain, Silver Bullet to the right, and Xcelerator to the left, they all dwarf the Timber Mountain Log Ride.

...or maybe I have just grown up where the mountain would have looked smaller no matter what was placed around it.

John Guill said...

I remember when this opened. My scenery needs more than TLC.

Thanks Major.

JG

Nancy said...

nice. this reminds me of Big Thunder Mountain, a favorite at Disneyland. hope to visit Knott's the next time we get to California

hope everyone had a nice Easter hoilday :D

fuzzhead said...

I like all the robot loggers working and sawing at the top right before the final plunge, the last logger is just sitting there doing nothing. So me and my daughter always yell "Get to work!" at him.