Thursday, April 28, 2011

Century 21 Expo, September 1962

Hey! Ho! Let's Go! To Seattle and the "Century 21 Expo", that is.


I love this first shot with the Alweg Monorail station! An "Electricab" tour vehicle, looking charmingly clunky, passes by while all those other suckers have to walk.


Thar she blows, the Monorail itself! It's nowhere near as sexy as the Disneyland version, but I love it just the same.


Visitors purchase tickets at the base of the magnificent soaring Space Needle, waiting for their turn to ride up the elevator to the observation level, some 500 feet up. As you can see, they had to find something else to do for the next 45 minutes (unless they wanted to eat in the "Eye of the Needle" Restaurant - 90 minutes for them!). Why don't they just walk up the 832 steps?


I'll have more Century 21 pictures for you in a future post!

6 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I love that the Space Needle and Monorail still stand today....I have to visit them every time I get up to Seattle. However, I don't like the newer two story structure that was built around the base of the Space Needle a few years back.

Connie Moreno said...

I've always wanted to go to Seattle - now I have another reason!

Unknown said...

NEAT!

The Viewliner Limited said...

This is great Major. The monorail stuff is always cool. No matter where it is at. Thanks.

Nancy said...

very cool....hope to get to Seattle one day, too; my brother went there on his way to an Alaskan cruise and he loved it!

Anonymous said...

The monorail is still a neat ride, from the main downtown shopping area, through the EMP and back!
So cool.

http://www.empsfm.org/aboutEMPSFM/index.asp