Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Walt Disney World Autopia, June 1982

Today I've got two great views of Florida's version of the Autopia - known as the "Grand Prix Raceway". As you can see, the cars look very much the same as Disneyland's did for so many years, only WDW's sport snazzy racing stripes and numbers. Notice also that the spoilers on the cars are emblazoned with the name of the attraction's sponsor, Goodyear. I wonder how many zillions of little tires they provided in a typical year? In the distance, the WEDway PeopleMover.


Check out the painted flames on that car! That's the one that I want to drive. Please kick that little girl out, I insist. She'll get over it.

7 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Great shots! I've never ridden these. Tokyo DL's look pretty much identical to WDW's...even the loading area looks the same. Now I'm curious about something. Tokyo DL's have a built-in sensor that applies the break automatically if you get too close to the car in front of you, making it impossible to bump into other vehicles. Does anyone know if WDW's cars have the same built-in feature?

stu29573 said...

I don't think they do...or if they do, it was added in the past few years. I can remember getting bumped pretty good when I last went on them, but that was some years ago...

Connie Moreno said...

I'll be riding these later this week! Will keep an eye out for the flames, LOL!

JG said...

I always wanted a red one.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

TM, does the Tokyo autopia still have these 70's-style cars with the same paint jobs?

Stu, we all know that you were really tried to be the bumper and not the bumpee! ;-)

Connie - - lucky!

JG, let's compromise - you can have a red one with flames.

TokyoMagic! said...

Major, Tokyo has the same style cars with stripes painted down the center, but I don't think any of them have flames.

Nancy said...

bonus Skyway....oh yeah!!