Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sea World, November 1964

There are several "Sea World" amusement parks around the US, but the one in San Diego was the first, having opened in March of 1964. So today's photos were taken just 8 months later! I like Sea World just fine, but admit that I haven't been to it for many years. You find pictures of it fairly regularly, mostly dophins, pilot whales, and killer whales in mid-jump. Happily, these two are different.


Does anybody know anything about the area behind this happy couple? It is themed with Japanese-style architecture, and looks pretty great actually. Lots of warm varnished wood and plenty of paper lanterns. Maybe it's a restaurant. "Dolphin dogs" and "whale burgers"? My favorite thing about this photo: the woman's fuzzy hat.


Gene and Ralph look around with critical eyes (they approve), while Doris (of fuzzy hat fame) sets a brisk pace out front. I love that modern, swoopy-roofed building. I wonder if anything from Sea World '64 still survives?

10 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

The Japanese building is the Pearl divers attraction. I can't remember how much it cost, but you paid a fee and one of the Japanese woman would dive into the water and retrieve an oyster. And hopefully the oyster would have a pearl in it.

If I remember correctly... (a task that is becoming increasingly more difficult :-) if the oyster had a pearl they would put it between two towels put sea salt on it and rub it until it became very shinny.

And if it was a worthy pearl... I think you had the option of selling it to them.

They had many pearl necklaces and other pearl jewelry on display and for sale.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

"Year One" Sea World photos must be ultra rare - what a treat! Thanks!

"Dolphin dogs" & "Whale burgers" now I'm hungry....

Major Pepperidge said...

Viewliner, thanks for the info about the Pearl Diver attraction! I'd be very disappointed if the oyster I had just paid for wound up without a pearl.

Chuck said...

Could you at least eat the oyster?

Katella Gate said...

I have a few pearls from Sea World, but later in the decade. I got two oysters, yielding 4 pearls, two black two white. I had them set and gave them to my mother, because pearls clash with my complexion (jk)

Kevin u said...

Remnants of the Japanese Village still exist, I think. It became Forbidden Reef, where you pet bat rays. I think the modern 'swoosh' roofed building survived until the late nineties, when they put in the shipwreck rapids ride. It originally had some kind of underwater show inside it. There was one large tank that went from floor to ceiling in the center and was surrounded by seating on four sides.

Chiana_Chat said...

"Maybe it's a restaurant. "Dolphin dogs" and "whale burgers"?"

kay but don't try the Porpoise Pudding.

Nancy said...

we visted Sea World in Sandusky, Ohio about a half dozen times that i can remember, from when i was about 15 to taking my daughter and niece about 30 years later. such a nice little park.

hoping to see the ones in Florida as well as in California one of these times in the not too distant future....

the main thing i remember the first time we went was wondering what in the heck all those ppl were sprinkling on their fish...??

Major Pepperidge said...

OK Nancy, I have to know... what WERE those people sprinkling on their fish????

Unknown said...

Wow... Dig Doris's crazy hat!! My mom had one almost just like this in the ealy 70's!