Friday, November 26, 2010

Frontierland Stuff, August 1957

Both of today's photos are from the same lot, and yet one appears to be cloudy and stormy, while the other has a cloudless blue sky. I can't explain it. Maybe the photographer visited the park two days in a row. Anyway, here's the entrance to Frontierland; nothing too remarkable about it. There appears to be a bit of scaffolding (or something) if you look just below the "Frontierland" sign, to the right. Any theories?


Those darn neighbor kids are always accidentally throwing their moose antlers on to the roof of the mill. Well too darn bad, I'm not getting my ladder again. When I was a boy, I was taught to be careful with my moose antlers.

6 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Wow, I tend to think the Frontierland entrance hasn't changed much, but I guess it has (link)

Were there Tee-pee's located just to the left of the entrance, they are shown on the 1957 Map (link) but we know that map is a little "off"

Great vintage post, thanks!

Orange Co native said...

Both pictures could have been taken the same day. What often happens in Orange County is that the day begins cloudy (due to being close to the ocean) and the sun then comes out at about 10-11 am. It happens on most days in Southern California

Connie Moreno said...

Yup it does. The weirdest thing I ever saw was one clear cold night at Disneyland. I was in the hub when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, a thick heavy fog rolled in and I could not see Main Street! Then I heard the Twilight Zone theme playing...

Katella Gate said...

As this blog's official "crackpot theory dispenser", I think the scaffolding in the first picture looks like the beginnings of construction for a two story building "balloon wall" with studs at 16" apart and a top sill for the roof.

JG said...

@KG, I think you are right, the spacing and detail looks right for a framed wall under construction. What is behind this building now? I can't make anything out in VDT's link.

@VDT, I feel reaallly old, because the first picture looks right to me.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

VDT, I was pretty sure the entrance to Frontierland had chaned, but your photo definitely shows how much!

OC Native, I never think of Anaheim as close to the ocean, but I guess it kind of is!

Connie, I'd love to see Disneyland in a heavy fog.

KG & JG, I wonder if that construction is for the Casa de Fritos? (see photo from a couple of days ago!)