Friday, June 27, 2008

Two From June 1958 (and one extra)

Today, Speedy the intern picked out three images for you.

First up is this interesting angle looking at a bridge that passed over a waterway that I believe has been long covered-up. The bridge took you to the Plantation House to our right, and the waterway was actually a continuation of the Jungle Cruise rivers. That's right, a crocodile might very well be hiding down there, still waiting for a hand out. As you can see, there was also a loading area for the rafts to Tom Sawyer Island, and even storage for unused rafts. All of this was paved over (though I am pretty sure that the water still runs through a tunnel) when New Orleans Square was added.


I've always liked this mysterious temple from the Jungle Cruise, seen here guarded by a swaying king cobra and a giant spider. Not to mention a couple of crocs in the water, you can just see their serrated backs in the water.


I thought I'd throw in this early souvenir slide as an added bonus. I believe that the photo is from 1955 or '56, and you can see that the animals hadn't been hired as guards yet. There are no gleaming jewels surrounding the golden idol either, though they were added later. And notice those mangey monkeys who have taken over the place... they didn't stay too long!


Speedy was feeling blue because he got a bad haircut, but I'm sure he feels better now. Thanks Speedy!

10 comments:

Jason Schultz said...

Wow, what a super rare shot of the bridge! Interestingly, the bridge built over the Pirates queue in 1987 is in almost the same spot.

Thufer said...

just when i thought i had seen it all. just a pleasure to see the bridge and waterway. rare indeed.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Mega-rareness!!!! WOW, I didn't even recognize the bridge at first having never seen it from that angle! THANKS!

Daveland said...

Fantastic bridge shot! It's about time you start putting up some of those classic slides you've been getting!

Yendorb said...

Great bridge shot, never seen anything like it before!

Chris Jepsen said...

You just blew my mind with that bridge shot. I thought I knew what the park looked like in the 1950s, but this is new to me. How cool!

The Viewliner Limited said...

I ditto all. Another superb shot of the Plantation House area and bridge.

Major Pepperidge said...

Thanks everyone! Dave, my "system" for scanning and posting new slides is so convoluted that even I don't understand it!

Futurama said...

Great shot. There is a tunnel that connects the Jungle to the Rivers. According to an article I read in E-Ticket Magazine, water is pumped from the Rivers of America to Storybook where it flows to Motor Boat Cruise then the moat, the Adventureland and Frontierland entrances, the Jungle Cruise, and finally back to the Rivers of America.

What a great shot!

Connie Moreno said...

Holy cow, Batman, that bridge shot is awesome.