Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Douglas Rocket and Flower Mart, October 1963

Tomorrowland looks kind of sleepy and deserted in this 1963 photo. And there's nobody home in the Flight Circle... did that tend to operate during the busier seasons? I know that at least one of you can tell me! Anyway, the lack of crowds gives us a chance to get a really nice look at the Rocket to the Moon with its Douglas colors.


Nobody loves fake flowers more than me. NOBODY! Which is why I like this unusual view of the Flower Mart, looking back up East Center Street towards Main Street USA (pronounced "oosa"). That lady is wearing a long dress to hide the fact that she has tentacles instead of legs. She is timidly approaching a Lunch Lady (I'd recognize that uniform anywhere!), perhaps to borrow 5 bucks. That's what I would do, anyway. Across the way is the Hallmark Store, with that cool crown over the entrance.


Can you tell that I wrote this at the last minute?

8 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

WOW !!!

Anonymous said...

I recognize that flower lady from the polygamist compound in Texas!

outsidetheberm said...

Great top image!

Anonymous said...

I was never sure if the sadly non-fragrant Main Street Flower Mart was actually selling plastic flowers, or if it was just there to be picturesque. I don't remember ever seeing guests walking around the Park with big noisy plastic bouquets!

Yendorb said...

wouldn't that be west center? looking east?

Major Pepperidge said...

Oh yeah, WEST Center Street!

spajadigit said...

Heck, that woman could be an emissary of the elder gods, making a brief visit to Disneyland from the plains of Ry'leh.

Sorry, it was the tentacles comment. :)

The picture of the rocket is awesome.

CoxPilot said...

The Flight Circle did run shows during some of the winters, but only on Fri, Sat & Sun. And, during the holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving. I worked and went to collage at the same time. The scheduling was great.